Existing Member?

Life I basically made this to describe my trips to anyone who cares, without having to send out a ridiculous amount of emails. Where God leads me, I will follow.

Big Break Part III (Paris)

FRANCE | Sunday, 4 May 2008 | Views [813] | Comments [5]

First of all, I would like to take this time to say that I should have pictures up in a few days.  I'm just waiting on a way to transfer them to my computer.

Also, I would like to let everyone know that on this big break of mine, I have now consumed duck liver, live oysters, escargot, and...Boar's head.  Yeah that last one's a doosie.  Feel free to ask me about it.  Okay, moving on.


This is part three of my three part Big Break blog series.  That sounded really cool.  So, my last stop on my journey was Paris France.  The city of love and romance...and Kelly Chippindale was in Athens Ohio.  Luckily, I had my good friend Smiles with me, so I was completely devastated. 

Speaking of Smiles, I have not mentioned him once in any of these posts.  Smiles is my trusty side-kick that accompanies me on all of my adventures in Europe.  He is the little stuffed smiley face that has been appearing in my pictures.  I did take him to the Pyrenees, but I only had pictures of him on my camera, so unfortunately, they were lost...but he had a lot of fun.  He was given to me by my good friend Katie Pagenstecher who wants Smiles to see the world, which is why he is with me.  And that's the story of smiles.

Now back to the actual story.  So far, we have been to Bordeaux and Stirling, and I have been shown the beautiful never-changing love of God, and the beauty that is revealed to us when we put our trust in Him.  In Paris, I experienced something a bit different.  In the city of love, God showed me a beautiful challenge that will remain with me for the rest of my time on this earth.

Upon arrival to the airport, my dear friend Pierre-Antoine (or PA for short) was supposed to meet me at the gate.  When I got off the plane; however, he was no where to be seen.  Immediately, my trust in the Lord was gone.  "The trip is ruined."  "Nothing has worked out this whole time!"  About five minutes later, PA was leading me to the train that would take us to his brother's apartment...I'm an idiot.

Now before I go any further, I would like to say that if anyone is ever planning on going to Paris for vacation or whatever reason, I will give you PA's number because he is the best Paris tour guide in all of France.  In the course of about 1 1/2 days, I saw the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Invalide, Arc de Triumphe, Concorde, Town Hall, Church Magdeline, Champs Elysee (a really big shopping street), and the Louvre where I saw, among many other beautiful things, the Mona Lisa, Venice de Milo, and an actual mummy.  It was incredible.  Everything was worth stopping for.  I had to take a picture just about every 5 minutes.  Even the streets were lined with perfectly planted green trees.  I cannot fathom what it must have taken to build the cathedrals I saw there, and I finally get to say that I have seen the Eiffel Tower.  That's just so cool to me.

But where there was beauty, pain was close by.  Homeless lined the streets just as the trees did.  And inside these magnificently huge cathedrals, I found machines where I could turn my two euro coin into a Holy two euro coin with just another two euros and the crank of a handle, candles I could light for prayer (2 euros for a small one, 10 for a big one).  At the front door, there was a big scary man sternly telling people to be quite, for it was a Holy place, and we all know that God cannot work in noisy environments.  I felt like running around with a whip and turning over the machines and tables...WWJD right?

And thus, the challenge was presented to me.  Where there is beauty, there will be disgust; where there is joy, there will be despair; where there is good, there will be evil.  And for the rest of my life, I must dedicate my entire self to spreading the former of the two.  So there it is.  The challenge for, not only me, but for anyone else willing to accept it. 

It may be hard for me to believe right now, buy my life will not always consist of spending countless hours with good friends in Athens Ohio.  I will have some serious challenges in my life, and I am convinced that being here in Europe has been a little taste of what that will be like. 

Three times, in three very different ways, God showed me something beautiful.  The love of Bordeaux, the trust of Stirling, and the challenge of Paris are all experiences that I will thank God for, for the every day of the rest of my life.  I pray that my message has been clear to all of those reading, and that God has spoken through me. 

And that was my Big Break.

 

Comments

1

Hey, Ian....Sounds like a wonderful adventure! I love France and Scotland and what I know is that you're living life to its fullest...travel has a great way of transforming us...can't wait to catch up over coffee when you get back! Blessings! Dan

  Dan May 11, 2008 2:00 PM

2

Hey Ian,

You are missed in Athens. But, I am very happy to see that you are having a great time in your travels. When you get back we will have to catch up and talk about life and travels.

Also, on your blog under current travels you have this listed as the Frane addition. I'm pretty sure you want that to be France. :D

Many Blessings,
Kevin

  Kevin May 12, 2008 11:52 PM

3

HEY IAN I MISS YOU ALOT AND I HOPE U KNOW WHO THIS IS . I HOPE U COME BACK SOON AND SEE ME AND THE REST OF US. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU AGAIN WE ALL MISS YOU AND SMILES. HUGS AND KISSES -DAISHA CASEY- YOUR GOOD FRIEND P.S. I REALLY THINK YOU AND KELLY SHOULD GET MARRIED(TIE THE KNOT DUH)

  Daisha Casey Katie's Little Sis' May 25, 2008 7:45 AM

4

Hey I know Katie Pagenstecher... shes my cousin!! Do you still have Smiles? Tell Katie I say "Hi!!!"

  Marisa Jan 6, 2009 10:00 AM

5

nooooo.... unfortunately):
i hope katie has him, shes been traveling with her fiance.. (:

  Daisha Casey Dec 16, 2010 3:02 AM

About ianapple


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.