Existing Member?

Life I basically made this to describe my trips to anyone who cares, without having to send out a ridiculous amount of emails. Where God leads me, I will follow.

Big Break Part II (Stirling Scotland)

FRANCE | Sunday, 4 May 2008 | Views [891]

So for those of you who do not know this, I am a bit of a momma's boy, and have never traveled by myself, so Scotland was a bit of a learning experience.  I left Bordeaux early on Monday morning to catch my train to the Paris airport.  Now in case you don't this about me either, I don't know French, so every time there was an announcement over the loud speaker, I was convinced that they were saying something along the lines of, "We've decided to skip Ian Strickland's stop in Paris to make better time."  But I did end up making it to Paris.  

The flight to Edinburgh was pretty easy; however, getting from the airport to Stirling was a bit different.  After a series of different bad directions of getting to Stirling, I finally found my way to the local police station, where I was told I had to walk about a mile to a bus stop that would take me to the train station.  Again, I found myself convinced that nothing would work out and that I would end up having to sleep under a bridge, but believe it or not, I got to the train station, and then to Stirling shortly after.

When I was safely in my hostel room, I looked back on my little adventure to Stirling, and I was amazed at how easily I doubted that the Lord would provide for me, and how hard it was to trust Him, which brings me to my second unique and beautiful gift, trust in the Lord. 

To be quite honest, getting to Stirling Scotland from Bordeaux France was physically easy, and it would have been one of the easiest things I have ever done, if I had only not convinced myself over and over again that I was alone.  That the all powerful and all knowing God that has been with my every step of my life had chosen to abandon me when I was most dependent on Him.  HOW STUPID OF ME!!!!  Have I learned nothing in my walk with the Lord?  It is so easy to praise God and trust in Him when all is going according to plan, but as soon as there is the slightest hiccup in the plan, we are immediately alone, and the earth comes crashing down on our shoulders.  How easy it is to listen to this lie.  But it is even easier to discard it for what it truly is, if only our eyes remain open to the truth.

The next day, I got up, and walked out of the hostel knowing only that I wanted to visit Stirling Castle.  I knew it was relatively close, and that it opened in maybe an hour or so, so I just began to walk.  I trusted in the Lord and found my way to a small playground, where I spent some time in quiet solitude and the word of God, and then eventually to Stirling Castle.  As soon as I walked through the main gate and into the center, I immediately knew I was supposed to be there.  I was surrounded with history dating back to the time of William Wallace and the Scottish revolution.  It was awesome!  I went on a tour around the castle with probably the coolest tour guide ever born.  The entire time I was being told stories of violent battles and heroic victories, while gazing around at the huge rolling green hills of Scotland, I could not help but think of Sir David Bradford Signet III and Sir Joshua Potter, and how they would have been running around the grounds of the castle with toy swords and yelling in really bad Scottish accents. I'm smiling while writing this right now by the way.

After the tour, I had all the time in the world to venture around by myself.  I found an area in the back of the castle that overlooked the every green field and hill within the area.  And way off in the distance, I could even see the William Wallace monument.  Seriously, if you have any picture in your head when you hear "Scotland" this was it.  It was breathtaking.  I don't even know how long I stood there staring across the horizon at God's majesty, and wondering if God can display such beauty in a temporary and broken world, how much sweeter will it be when we reach the Kingdom. 

I stepped back from the wall, and found a nice patch of grass to lye down on for a little while.  As I lay there, I reflected on the complete peace of mind God had given me just for trusting in Him.  Staring up into the sky, watching the clouds pass me by, and the sun finding its way the gaps, I had not a single care in the world.

I could have spent the rest of my break in Stirling, but alas, God had one more thing to show me.  So on Wednesday morning, it was on to Paris.

 

 

About ianapple


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.