Existing Member?

Packedin I've packedin and living the world.

Way Way Stay

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 27 June 2008 | Views [629]

It’s funny in life how some situations that you find yourself in at first seem disappointing or bad and then all of a sudden you find yourself stumbling into something better than your original plans.

I was booked into stay with a host farm and had train tickets and two nights stay in a hostel booked and was leaving the next day when I received an email to say that the woman running the farm stay had broke her foot and would not be able to take me anymore. Now the hostel I had booked into in Macksville was a way out of the main town so when I was to get there after the two hour train journey I would have to find a way of getting out to the hostel. My options were to try and contact another host which I did but with no reply and the other was to maybe change my train ticket and head further north. In the end I decided just to head to hostel as planned as to not lose the money that had already been paid.

After arriving in Macksville a rail guard told me that where I was going was a fair way out of town and there are no busses. He said a taxi would be my only option. I walked into town and parked myself in the first public house that I came across to have a needed beer and to ask again if there was a way I could get out to the hostel. Again the bar staff’s answer was the same as the guards which was to get a taxi. As the taxi pulled up outside the hostel and my pocket was twenty dollars lighter, which was more expensive than the train ticket, the owners came out to greet me and immediately told me I should have phoned them and they would have come and picked me up.

The hosts were really nice and after showing me to my room asked if I would join them for something to eat with the family. The hostel was empty as it was in downtime and was having a lot of renovations done so the owners said that they had lots of work if I wanted to stay for a while and help out. After the last hosted stay I was at which had me weeding every day for 10 days without a day of the prospect of a wide variety of work sounded great. The owners too were both supply teachers which was another bonus as it was something that I was looking into in my stay in Australia.

So after a bleak looking prospect of being stuck somewhere for a couple of days it had turned into positive situation that would be good for a while.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.