Existing Member?

Andi's travels

Day 1

INDIA | Wednesday, 3 July 2013 | Views [228]

Wake up wander down change rupees book tour around Golden Triangle in 2 days time bus around Delhi and overnighter to Amritsar as well as back to Delhi for overnighter to Mumbai, all done over a cup of well needed Masala chai. Spent an hour reading what around Delhi id like to see and tn headed out into the dirty manic chaotic busy hub of Indians going around their daily business with less stares than one would get inCairo. Yes it is dirty Yes it is chaotic and Yes poverty hits you with a slap around each corner. But no one in your face begging ( that comes later) Enough of a wander need to get water and back to hotel to check up on Egypt status. I take it back Cairo YOU are number 2 in the chaotic traffic systems of the world Delhi is no.1 for sure! Tuk Tuks rickshaws walkers taxis buses people cows donkeys and the odd beggar all trying to get to one place with the same doing it in the opposite direction amid the 34c humid temps of India. Two fights later - yes tempers flare in this heat too - sticks out a kick a cuff men gather round loud voices jabbering and pointing and within minutes seems all is over....sound familiar?? and I have good news about my adopted home and stay to read fb statuces and Aljazeera news updates before showering - second of the day- and getting into my first ever tuk tuk to Karims - a world famous eating place for locals , 45 mins later and less than 50 p journey with eyes half closed but pleasantly surprised with a comfortable journey with a lil old man who i just flagged down and after trying to tell him where i wanted to go with 2 other men who forced their way quietly into the scene and telling me how much i should pay ....the lil old man driver quietly said to me he would use the meter ---- so a( give lovely  driver  triple what i had on meter and he blessed me copious times for all of £ 150 - this might get to me eventually - after stopping twice to ask the way ( familiar?) we get to the busiest Bazaar think Khan x 10/ Blackpool beach on a sunny bank holiday, i get out admist smells dirt buildings half done men chatting women shopping and the ever present traffic all beeping to get pass - however anyone gets anywhere is a well organised military action me thinks! so i wander down this buzy street no one hassleing me  and find this lil cafe type eatery full of locals and after eating the food you wonder why --- BEST FOOD EVER- well my sis in law comes a close inch to it.... i order 5 items - not sure what i would get see pic - amazing - eating with fingers and just savouring the spices used. Once satiated i walk to try to get a tuk tuk and now its hassle - considering it cost me 65rupees to get here now its 150 to get back so i waqlk off and hail one later down i say 100 he agees and off we go - halfway along he gives me a card with a handwritten english demand for rupees for an MRI scan for his child who has a big head and needs 2250 rupees - OMG im not sure I can stand the poverty - any ideas how one copes? I remain silent and before reaching my journeys end get out give him some money and feel guilty that i cant give anymore to this man in tatters with all his woes. Needless to say i wander to digs eyes wide open and very thoughtful about how lucky I am in this whole sceme of things.

 

About hyarima


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.