Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

welcome to... (huw)

JORDAN | Thursday, 10 February 2011 | Views [1187]

We've been living in Arabic countries now for nearly a year and one thing keeps happening, almost every day. It happened again today, this morning, as we were walking up a hill in Amman, past a barber's shop where men were being shaved and others were waiting to be shaved. One man, sat outside, was chatting to a friend and looked at us as we passed, he caught me eye, smiled and said, "Welcome to Jordan". 

The country name has changed over the past months but the sentiment hasn't. We are constantly being greeted and welcomed as guests by people in the street even though we are just tourists. Does this happen in Britain? Does this happen anywhere in the West? When have you ever extended spontaneous greetings to a tourist. I never have. 

I love being in the Arab world because of moments like this: being made to feel welcome. It may be a cultural conditioning that prompts people to do it, a morphed manifestation of the age old Bedouin tradition of extending hospitality to travellers, but the effect is explosively positive. This morning, preoccupied with thoughts about a business meeting, struggling up a steep hill, I was suddenly exchanging warm spontaneous smiles with someone I would meet for only a few seconds. It changed my day.

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.