Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

nous sommes en afrique! (rose and huw)

TUNISIA | Thursday, 22 April 2010 | Views [673] | Comments [3]

Lots to catch up on but we wanted to send a quick up-to-date update to let you know we made it safely to the other side of the Med. Whilst the rest of the world is having travel troubles (thinking of all our friends currently stuck in far flung exotic locations... Granada? LA? San Fran? Are you back yet?) it seems for once ironically we are the only ones able to move.

We both felt nervous leaving the ease of Europe behind and that now there would be a full day of sea between us and everyone we love. Adventure can't be plain sailing, even if the Med was as smooth as glass for our 23 hour crossing.

Customs only took two hours to get through instead of the six we suspected it might. In fact they didn't root through our stuff but just peered inside. They were far too busy taking apart all the vastly overloaded cars driven by Tunisians who had bought and brought back half of Italy's second and first hand stock of a bizarrly diverse range of goods: rusty bicycles, ladders, fridges, sofas, children's toys, scaffolding....

Now, sat in an internet cafe with high speed connection (even if the non-qwerty keyboard is making typing torturous), after a delicious mint tea and with the truck parked opposite a police station which the chatty local coppers insisted on even though this is a pleasant middle class seaside suburb of southern Tunis, and, suddenly we are both a little more relaxed. Less anxious about what we are doing and where we are, yet missing everyone still.

Volcano permitting, we'll have our next visitors joining us on Saturday.

Comments

1

Hi Rose and Huw
Your trip sounds great so far . We wish you luck during the rest of your trip and look forward to catching up on your future updates.If you get any tips that we can pass on to our travelllers let us know.
Jane and Helen - Sussex Travel Clinic

  Jane - Sussex Travel Clinic Apr 24, 2010 1:29 AM

2

Been following the blog with interest. You have crossed a big cultural divide and will start seeing some very interesting and perhaps unsettling sights. Pop hwyl o Kabul!

  Chris o Sir Fon May 4, 2010 2:26 PM

3

Hi Huw and Rose, hope trip is going well and that it is living up to expectation with no serious or unexpected incidents. Take care, with our love XXX

  Lyn and Jean May 4, 2010 11:50 PM

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tunisia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.