Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

heart is where the home is (huw)

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 4 September 2009 | Views [549]

Sometimes it’s hard to leave. The truck still needs attention and even small jobs take time. Get tools out… Sit on the floor and stare into a cupboard trying to work out the best way to build shelves when the doorway is too small to fit the wood needed to build it… Take measurements… Come up with a plan that might work, maybe… Make tea… Loose tape measure… Set up workbench… Search for tape measure… Take measurements. Again…  Realise that the screws recently bought from B&Q are 4mm too long so drive back to Dante’s big orange hellhole for the fourth time in less than 24 hours.

Though a job could be done leisurely in a field somewhere just off the road after a camper-cooked breakfast, there are lures that lead down an easier route, even if that means not moving at all: access to mains electricity for power tools, a garage to work in out of the rain, wireless internet and kitchen with a well stocked fridge.

It’s all an excuse though. I am stalling, despite all the plans, the money, the effort and the dreams. Leaving isn’t easy. There’s still a desire for adventure, a full commitment to what we are about to do, whatever that may be. It’s just not easy to leave my sister, my mother and my father knowing that I may not see them for a year or more. Stalling seems easier than saying goodbye.

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.