Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

it's about time (rose)

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 9 August 2009 | Views [499]

It’s about time we started. We decided to set up this blog, and, in fact, this website, as an alternative to bombarding our nearest and dearest with epic monthly emails which they felt obliged to read. This way, they (or, perhaps you) can come here and read our latest news or see our latest photos whenever you think of us. Have no doubt that we will be thinking of you all very often.

We bought Penelope last October, and already she’s taken us on quite a journey, not geographically yet, but certainly emotionally. Huw spent the first few months working on the mechanics, mostly under the watchful eye of Jon Joseph. While I was winning the bread, he also took her out of Brighton for some all important outings: to get her LPG tank fitted near Norwich, her solar panels fitted near Cambridge, her cupboards fitted in Newhaven. It was hard-going: with each development we’d discover several more jobs which needed to be done. I started using words I’d never heard before: we had entered a world of differentials, gaskets and leaf springs. Using power tools became a normal afternoon activity.

Since Christmas, almost every weekend has been spent together exploring the Sussex countryside. Not quite as idyllic as it sounds: we’ve visited chandlers all along the coast, sought out Land Rover specialists to purchase Penelope’s internal organs, and (one utterly bizarre day) attended our first Land Rover convention, where Penelope, being one of only 242 of her kind, revelled in the attentions of keen collectors and enthusiasts from around the country. She loved it: she’s a right flirt!

We have finally managed to prise ourselves away from our fabulous friends in Brighton, but we haven’t gone far. We’ve spent a week with Huw’s family in South Wales. Tomorrow we head to Leicestershire then on to Lincolnshire to say farewell to mine. It’s an odd time, and an odd feeling, but I’m glad we have allowed ourselves these weeks to indulge in quality time with family and friends (and allowed Penelope a chance to show us what we need to fix) before we fly, as it were.

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.