Existing Member?

Down a rolling road 1 van, 2 girls, 5 states, 6 weeks, 24 gigs, 10106 kilometres, ... oh and 8 fingers crossed ...

Lonely Planet Great Guidebook Moment - The Roundhouse, Fremantle

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 28 February 2008 | Views [2508]

We've been a little behind on our Lonely Planet moments so I'm going back to recap a couple ...

Feb 28th we decided to meet up with our mates Oops and Jodie to check out the Fremantle Roundhouse and say our farewells before heading south. Our mates rocked up on their new wheels, a $500 scooter they bought from a hire shop the day before so we admired their purchase for a bit then crossed the railway track and climber the stairs up to our destination.

The Roundhouse is the oldest public building in Freo and we'd been told there was amazing views and it was only a gold coin donation to go in, which made it right up our alley! Stepping into the roundhouse is bit of an eerie feeling, it was built as a prison and the lock up rooms were so small it's suffocating to even think about being stuck in one. To make things even more freaky they put weird decaying dummies in some of the rooms... The weather was divine which made the already beautiful view over the headland absolutely stunning... it had all the elements- sparkling water, deep blue skies, posh little yachts bobbing up and down and the clarity of a pristine sunny Fremantle day, all contrasting very nicely with the sandstone of the Roundhouse. It was a really cool way to check out some of the history of the area, specially when we didn't have a lot of time to spare. Definately check it out for a cool, cheap thing to do in Freo.

The roundhouse in Freo

The roundhouse in Freo

Tags: ambassador van, lonely planet great guidebook moment

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.