Existing Member?

Travel Film Scholarship - Rio 2013 - Shriya & Eeshit

DAY THREE - FEATHERS, TAILS, AND CARNIVAL EVE

BRAZIL | Saturday, 27 July 2013 | Views [1110]

The transportation of a city says a lot about the city itself and I find the metro in Rio to be quite tourist friendly. Apparently, not so much for the locals. I am already getting glimpses of people entering the metro as Hanna Barbara characters . I try not to stare. I gather that when it becomes normal to do your grocery shopping with feathers on your head and tails jutting out, it just means one thing-Carnaval is here !  I cannot wait to see how the city is going to transform itself for the next 5 days.

Since  Carnaval will officially begin tomorrow and we are pretty clueless about what’s in store, we met up with Clarisse . Clarisse, is a Carioca or a local from Rio. I have heard this term quite often in the past 2 days, and I am curious to know what it really means to be a carioca. Apart from, the mandatory condition of being born in Rio, the stereotypical carioca comes across as someone whose life is centred around the beach and who loves partying (that pretty much defines a lot of us)  But I am sure there is more to it than that definition. Talking to her gives me a sense, that Brazilians have a lot of pride for their culture and genuinely want to share their cultural experience with you.

It was incredible talking to Clarisse and trying to understand more about this culture of celebration. Carnaval is not just this massive celebration before lent but it holds a different meaning for every individual. My notion of carnaval changed when I met Clarisse. I thought the highlight was the Parade at the sambadrome but she tells us that the heart of the Carnaval lies in it’s blocos.  

Blocos are street parties that happen all around Rio. About 500 Blocos attract more than 6 million people on the streets. That sounds scary and impossible to manage.  We figure that if we really want to experience a bloco we need to plan our schedule well in advance. There are bloco maps available which mark the date and time of the different blocos, happening all over the city. Party planning at its best.

Some blocos begin the night before and we decide to get a glimpse of what a Brazilian street party is actually like.

As we approach this particular street party that Clarisse takes us to, I realize that it’s happening right in the middle of a children play ground with kids playing on swings and the others drinking and dancing around. There is a band playing traditional songs that everyone seems to know the words to.  People are not necessarily dancing as much as singing along and being part of this crazy energy. It’s informal and fun but apparently not half as colourful and lively as bloco parties are on the days of the Carnaval. Since Carnaval begins tomorrow, the plan is to attend an early morning street party. I don’t know how early is early but I am ready for it.  Can’t wait to experience the real deal!

Watch our video of Carnival Part I

About humsafar


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.