Existing Member?

Julie and Craig's sailing trip

La Coruna to Cascais

ROMANIA | Friday, 8 October 2010 | Views [837] | Comments [4]

Well it`s been a while since the last update but here is the latest.  Sailed from La Coruna on the Atlantic side of Spain to Povoa de Varzim near Porto on the North part of the Portugese coast, a journey of 30 hours or so and tied up in the marina there.  Very relaxed and friendly place.  An old fishing village that over time has grown and now is a busy tourist and commercial centre. We met lots of friendly boat people and had quite a social time, spending 9 days in total there which included a surf, getting computer issues sorted out buying a couple of fold up pushbikes and riding to nearby beaches and towns such as Villa de Conde a few klms along the coast. 

We were told that we missed a really good area between La Coruna and Povoa de Varzim which is in Spain close to the Northern border of Portugal so we sailed 10 hours North to Baiona and spent 5 days exploring the area, dropping anchor in a different place every night.  The scenery here was spectactular with large estuaries and islands with sandy beaches and rugged coves.  An absolute highlight as you can tell by the pics.

Had a fantastic sail back to Povoa de Varzim with 15 to 20 knot breeze coming from behind and our balooner sail working perfectly providing us with 7 hours of comfortable sailing in perfect sunshine averaging 8 knots-perfect!

From there we moved on down the coast but had to take shelter from a force 9 gale in a marina for a couple days at Leixoes.  This was quite an experience with the marina not coping with the conditions.  Everyone up all night adjusting lines and lashing the marina together as it slowly broke apart in driving rain, wind and swell.  Luckily the marina survived the storm although there was quite a bit of damage to the pontoons and some boats had fittings ripped out and suffered dings as the boats slammed into the pontoons.  We were ok though with plenty of heavy lines and fenders and managed to come out unscathed except for sleep deprivation. 

With another gale forecast a few days later we all cleared out and sailed down the coast about 30 hours South to Cascais where we are now sitting it out waiting for the next storm to pass.  This marina is much more substancial and well protected so we are fine here.  Also the town just near Lisbon is very, very nice.  Again a mixture of old and new but extremely well kept and some fantastic scenery.

So here we are for a few days before we head further South and then across to Morocco to prepare for our Atlantic crossing which is scheduled for mid November subject to weather. Oh sorry forgot to mention that we are no longer planning to go into the med since we have spent so much time on this coast and would prefer to spend some time in Morocco.  The med will have to wait until another time.

That`s all for now and cheers from Craig and Julie. 

 

 

Comments

1

We are in the marina here

  hullabaloo Oct 9, 2010 1:32 AM

2

Hey guys,, it looks far to fantastic for us to contemplate up here in the hot hot sun and red dirt... too much blue water, fish etc.... It sounds like you are having a fantastic time... what an adventure.
We are on the homeward straight only 9 weeks to go and we are all still standing so far ... even Wuppy. Love and all that the Nickos

  nickos Oct 9, 2010 2:10 PM

3

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuart.forge/Guatemala2010# This is a web page for the photos of our Caribbean trip(be advised there are about 500 pics incl some rivalling photos of dolphins and spinnaker shots). Your trip sounds great. Glad to hear you are not adverse to turning back, it usually turns out to be the best option. Beats the hell out of bashing to windward in lousy weather.

  Arnie and Jan Oct 10, 2010 11:44 AM

4

Hiya Craig + Julie!
wow! Dad just sent me the link to your blog today. It's fantastic to read about your adventures as you go and I love the way you've included maps and pics, it really tells the story... Morocco looks amazing esp the pic with the houses growing out of the sides of the mountains ;-) So pleased that you're enjoying yr adventures. Stay fabulous! ecks

  Eliza Nov 11, 2010 12:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.