Existing Member?

Julie and Craig's sailing trip

Azores to mainland Portugal and into the Mediterranean

FRANCE | Tuesday, 2 July 2013 | Views [404]

Hello again from Craig and Julie on board Hullabaloo in Sardinia in the central mediterranean.  The last time we updated the jounal was from the Azores in 2012 so this update has been a long time coming!  Here is short version and some pics if you are interested.

After cruising the Azores for a few weeks in June 2012 we sailed to Lagos Portugal which took us nearly 7 days making our arrival date 26th June 2012.  This completed the Altlantic loop for us, with Lagos also being our point of departure on 2nd November 2010.

Since we had sailed approx 2400 nautical miles in the previous 2 months we were happy to just potter around the Algarve coast in Southern Portugal for the rest of the season. So we bid our friends Phil and Di goodbye and spent the next few months cruising this coast until hauling Hullabaloo out of the water in Lagos, completing some maintenance work and flying back to Oz in October 2012.

This year we finished work in Australia in April and headed back to Portugal, launching Hullabaloo again in May.  So far this season we are enjoying stopping and visiting lots of different areas and have sailed through the straits of Gibraltar, North along the Spanish coast, across to the Balearic islands and on to the Italian island of Sardinia where we have just arrived.  

We have  had a few visitors again including Craig`s mother and her travelling companion Sue for a couple of weeks and Tyrone and Ruth, our friends from Lorne, for a few days.  We have spent some time sailing in the company of Brett and Rose, our neighbours from Lorne, who are on board their catamaran over here sailing in the same areas this year.  So as you can imagine there has been quite a bit of socialising and partaking in the odd happy hour along the way!

One of the nice things about cruising is you can stay or go whenever or wherever you want, depending on the weather conditions.  From here we are not sure exactly where we will go but Sicily and the Western Greece islands in the Ionian sea are on the agenda.  Very hard to take!

Anyway as usual some pics attached if you are interested and we will update the journal again before we return to Oz again in October.

Cheers from Craig and Julie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.