Existing Member?

Europizing Shenanigans

Florence, Milan and the French Riviera

ITALY | Monday, 29 June 2009 | Views [817] | Comments [5]

Firenze!

Without a doubt the most beautiful place I have ever been, and it has not diminished at all in the 18 months since I've been here.

I have been quite ill, which makes getting around an immensely unenjoyable task. Straight off the train in Florence, I was surprised at how well I remembered the city as I could find my way to the main square. Unfortunately, my hostel was HIDDEN and it took me a very long time to find it.

It was well worth the torturous journey though - this hostel was unbelievably nice.

As soon as I arrived they served their free "snacks" and sangria (effectively dinner), I did not have to sleep in a bunk bed and I actually had some space to myself for once. My room literally smelt of roses.

My only full day in Florence was a monday (the day when all the museums are closed). This actually turned out to be a stroke of immense luck, because I have already seen all the museums and didn't want to spend 7 hours in a queue when I only had one day. Since everybody else did want to see them, they had all gone to Sienna or Pisa for the day and I had the city almost to myself.

All too soon it was time to go to Milan, though. In typical Italian style, the trains decided to have a holiday, and only eurostars were running. So I queued for 2 hours to buy a eurostar ticket which saved me half an hour on my journey, cost me 3x as much and was then delayed by 2 hours anyway. Italians...

But I arrived in Milan, made it to my hostel, and slept for 4 days.


There was a wonderful thunderstorm every night I was in Milan, the view from my balcony was perfect.

Then, on my last day in Milan, finally feeling a little better, I ventured outside and saw the duomo (got nothin' on Florence!) and the city centre. Quite pretty.

To avoid queuing for 3 hours for a train, I cleverly decided to buy my ticket to Nice online.

Unfortunately, there was a queue to collect tickets booked online. And, I did not have the code to collect it that nobody told me I needed.


This all took some time to sort out... needless to say I JUST made it onto the train in time, so I didn't have any time to buy food for the 6 hour journey (and I hadn't eaten in 24 hours at least...)

So as soon as I arrived in Nice I bought the first thing I could - what the French call a 'cheeseburger'. It was served by a guy wearing a "everything's bigger in Texas" t-shirt. It was unbelievably good.

Milan Duomo

Milan Duomo

Comments

1

Fantastic photos Harry. What was wrong with you - gastro? Glad you are feeling better again. Where next? LOL G'ma & G'pa xx

  Gill Mitra Jun 29, 2009 11:11 AM

2

It was a very bad cough... felt a lot like the bronchitis I got last year.

It was accompanied by a temperature which is what made it really hard to move around much.

Where next? Spain.

  HTAPAWASO Jun 29, 2009 11:42 PM

3

I seem to remember that France is quite close to England so if you continue to feel rough we still have computer games and a full fridge for you. We can post you to your next destination when fit. Well done for visiting all those places despite the best attempts of the various transport systems to thwart you. Am exhausted having played every ball with Andy Murray at Wimbledon tonight. Glad Cal's pal Leighton's still in too.

  Jane Dallyn Jun 30, 2009 7:49 AM

4

Have you got to Spain yet? The world waits...

  Robert Leach Jul 23, 2009 7:32 PM

5

Yes I am in Spain.

I cannot post another update until the first week of August (probably) for reasons that are beyond my control (no wi-fi).

  HTAPAWASO Jul 24, 2009 2:18 AM

About htapawaso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.