Existing Member?

Once upon a time there was a girl....

rubble rubble and yet more rubble!

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 10 August 2010 | Views [338]

woke up aound 2.30 today very odd feeling! but headed straight out to explore delhi. leaving the hotel i was faced with what can only be described as a the aftermath of a war zone. its hard to comprehend that this was where people lived and not just a set for rich westeners to visit.

the street children were the most shocking.... and persistant. before i knew it i had a stream behind me somewhat like the pied piper! its hard to turn away and keep walking but youd never escape if you giveto them.

out onto the 'main' road (slightly wider dirt track) and i was faced with which bloody way do i go as apparently they have no street signs. oh and did i mention it was 40 degrees!

half an hour later im on track for Connaught Place in the centre of delhi, supposedly the shopping/eating district. figured itd be a good place to start!

i was a littl disappointed by it but then i also dot know what i was expecting. there was a huge aray of british and american sports shops and the occaisional place to eat all veru juxtaposed (spelt!!!) with the poverty of people starving at the road side selling scraps of cloth and metal.

found some food eventually as i hadnt eaten since frankfurt so for my first taste of indian food i had.. ....Chinese! it was the oly place we could find and understand. was good food though!

in the middle of Connaught Place there is a very odd garden/ ampitheater which has security and metal detectors to get in ther wasnt much to see as all the fountains were turned off but it gave you pretty views of the outer circles of Conaught Place.

headed back to the hotel to recoup and rest. Such lovely staff popped up to us every 20 minutes to check we were ok or just to chat!!

had dinner in the hotel bar called Sams bar - how could we not!

Tomorrow is another day!

About homeless-hannah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.