Existing Member?

Nepal Life Journey

5th September 2009

NEPAL | Saturday, 5 September 2009 | Views [321]

Wow, 12 days and no post - sorry guys!!

What can i say? Although i get up at 6.30am and don't have work until 9.30am, and i finish work at 4pm, i still do not find the time to write these posts. I'm enjoying it too too much! Me and Annie (one of the volunteers and my best mate here) agreed that no matter how we try and describe this place to people, you will never understand until you experience this.

The views are breathtaking, the other night my 'sister' and I lay on our roof for hours watching the stars, they lit up the sky like a thousand tiny lights, it was amazing! We also had a real heart to heart and are even closer than before, she is so beautiful and we talk about everything, she is my 2nd sister for deffinate!

Everything's been ticking away (too quickly for my liking!) working, socialising, eating rice lol. Last night i slept at Annie's house and had dinner there, she has a 5yr old brother who is sooo cute but he's an absolute terror, i dont know how his parents cope!

The other day we had an interaction programme with the teachers of Sirutar Secondary School and it was really interesting to hear about their way of schooling. Beating a child is still the most popular form of punishment here in Nepal, but we made some suggestions of alternatives. The education system is not government funded and so everyone has to pay their tuition from the age of 5 to 16. It is 400rupees entry fee then 300 rupees per month. 100 rupees is about 80p to us, but it is a lot to them, so given the option any family would educate a boy over a girl, without any doubt. The Sirutar Secondary School offer scholarship and sponsorship so i am thinking of setting up a charity to offer sponsorship to girls of Sirutar, Bhaktapur. So i hope all of you sign up to become a sponsor, or ill be on ur backs everyday for the rest of time!! lol.


Today, we went to the orphanage and handed out sweets and stickers. The children went absolutely MENTAL over them, it was very humbling to be there, they were the most beautiful and intelligent children you could ever imagine! I met an 11 yr old boy called Surakshya who had big doe eyes and his ears stuck out! He was so shy and told me he didn't really have proper friends at the orphanage, despite being there for 6yrs already. He was so amazing i spent the whole time with him, holding his hand and giving him kisses. He tried to share his sweets with me which bought me close to tears. At the end when it was time to leave i gave him a cuddle, promised to come again (which i will) and walked out before crying. It was a beautiful experience that i would do all over again but it doesn't half make you grateful for everything you have!

Tonight Annie is coming for dinner, we are having cheese curry cos it is my absolute fave! Then my sister is staying in my room cos she told me that she missed me loads last night :-) I will try and get online more often but i can't promise anything cos i'm having way too much fun people!!

Monday we are going to Maiti Nepal which is a rehab centre for women that have been forced into the sex slave industry. I'm looking forward to it loads but i will deffinately cry a lot. I'll update and let you know how it goes.


Love you lots xxxx

About hollykellylines


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.