Existing Member?

PERUVIAN FASHION ADVENTURES

The Rocky Road To Recovery

PERU | Wednesday, 9 May 2012 | Views [642]

…where I last left off….I had fallen off the ladder in Cuzco and after a doctor’s house call which led to a hospital visit and x-rays, which led to a visit to a larger hospital that was equipped with a cat scan…..which lead to a diagnosis of a fractured heel that required surgery….I opted for flying back to Lima (where the hospitals are better) the next day to  have the procedure (a metal plate with pins inserted into my foot).

I was met at the airport in Lima by a very sweet English speaking Doctor along with an ambulance and her crew of medics.  If you ever travel internationally……GET TRAVELER’S INSURANCE….It’s much cheaper than health insurance in the U.S. and hopefully, they’ll be reimbursing me the entire $5,000 and counting out-of-pocket expenses I’ve incurred as well as all the hospital and surgery costs that they already covered without my having to pay anything.  (I don’t even kinow what that amount was)…..my insurance for the 6 months that I signed up for was  around $400…..You can do the math!  

Anyways, as I said, from the airport in Lima I went straight to the hospital and had to wait a couple days for the swelling to go down before they could do the surgery.  If it weren’t for Doctor Maria, who is my English speaking angel (and has since become a surrogate mother of sorts), I would have had an incredibly difficult time navigating the hospital and insurance shenanigans  as well as pain management and other needs that would have been hard to communicate….I did improve my Spanish skills flirting with all the adorable nurses who were constantly coming in and out of my private room to tend to a variety of necessary and unnecessary responsibilities that they seemed to have.

So, after about a week in the hospital, I was released and was ordered to stay in a hotel near the clinic (more like a condo, with a BIG hot tub in the living room, kitchen, and separate bedroom) for two weeks and then I finally moved into my beautiful apartment.

Things were difficult, as I endured quite a lot of pain, but I was slowly improving.  I started a fashion styling class and a pattern making/design course and was able to get around reasonably well with my crutches and a walking boot (looks like a big ski boot).  I started teaching English 5 nights a week to a 15 year old student from China, which pays quite well.  Things were looking up...until...

the day after I went for a check up and the doctor told me I was improving nicely and could ditch my hateful crutches in just 2 weeks, I encountered a terrible set back in my recovery which led to my being re-admitted to the hospital about two weeks ago…which is where I, very sadly, remain to this day.

...my broken foot developed an infection!!!     :*( 

 

About hissyfitfashion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.