Existing Member?

Henrika's Fascinating Adventures

Not for girls!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 11 June 2012 | Views [444] | Comments [1]

Monday, a beginning of a new week which hopefully will be more successful workwise than previous one. A good start:I though as there was a knock on the door in this morning at 7:30am asking whether we wanna work. I was awake but didn't bother to get up as I wasn't suppose to work today. The kiwipicker contractor didn't need extra hands for today so I just decided to sleep in and hope that something will come up.

So me and my Belgian roommate got up and headed to work with some blokes from the hostel. Neither of us were sure whether it was picking or packing avocados. We were half sleeping so we were not sure what we heard.  But then our colleagues said that picking avocados involves climbing in the trees, we though it must be packing.

We arrived a bit late of course because of the short notice, the farmer wasn't happy to see us: WHAT GIRLS, I WAS ASKING FOR GUYS, YOU NEED TO CARRY SOME BOXES. I HOPE YOU ARE STRONG. It wasn't that bad at all we were fully able to carry some boxes filled with vegetables and fruits. Not a big deal, the boxes weighted a few kilos max. After 3 weeks kiwipicking, it was nothing.

We also did some avocado packing which was more challenging. With the eyes not so accustomed to avocados, putting them in correct sizes boxes and FAST can be a bit tricky. But we were finished packing by lunchtime and sent home. The blokes drooped us back here  at the hostel and went off the fields to pick avocados, no way we would have been allowed to pick them. In fairness, it kind of makes sense and I am not sure whether my travel insurance would cover if I fell off. Made $40 for 3 hours. better little than nothing... keep repeating that to myself and don't even bother to convert the NZ$ in the euros... At least we got paid. I'd say it was worth getting out of the bed and I have one more funny experience I can laugh at.

It's winter here so a chance that I'll find another employment elsewhere is slim. There are jobs over winter here in Tauranga but getting steady job is not that easy. Well I still haven't been to Wellington but I'd like to have bit better balance in my saving account before I go back to the city life from this rural place. I've applied for a few ads looking for au pairs. After last week's disaster, au pair deal would be more profitable than random minimum wage. The both families are from South Island and it would start in July. Lets see what happens.

Tomorrow they need more mandarin pickers, I am so gonna give a go. I heard you can make pretty good money, if you are fast. Let's see how that's gonna work out for me. pruning is still being delayed... definitely tomorrow I was told this morning... An update this evening not tomorrow perhaps on Wednesday. it gotta be good while I have to wait this long:-)


Comments

1

"WHAT GIRLS, I WAS ASKING FOR GUYS" -- :D :D

  Anne R Jun 21, 2012 11:05 PM

About henrika_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.