Existing Member?

Henrika's Fascinating Adventures

Jaipur- the pink city

INDIA | Friday, 17 February 2012 | Views [420] | Comments [2]

One full day in Jaipur, the day was effectively used on tour.  The pick up service didn't work out last night. There was nobody waiting for me with my name sign. Not a big deal, the hotel was near to the railroad station and an autorickshaw driver was willing to take me to my hotel for 20 rupees, basically for nothing. On the way he told me that I was his first customer for that day, it was 6.00pm. I paid him 50 rupees (less than €1)He offered to come pick me up next morning and show me around the city. After thinking for awhile we agreed that he would come pick me up 10.30am. While I was waiting for somebody coming to get me, taxi drivers on the rank advised me to get an autorickshaw around the city, book this particular guy instead taking a deal form the hotel, because that would be more expensive. Whatelse I would be doing, "madam do you rather sit in your hotel room all day" ok they had a point. I tried to ask for the price for the tour. Madam, you say the price and pay afterwards whether you are happy with service or not. Ok deal and plan made.

This morning the same young bloke didn't show up but he had sent his older brother who has been doing that kind of tours more and he had very good English, Getting a local to show around the city is not a bad idea. Traffic, shops, crowd, streets appear as pure chaos. I wouldn't like to try to get around by myself with a map, noway.I would have given in and come back to the hotel or sit in a restaurant and miss the most of the city.  

I got to see a few monuments, elefants, rode an elefant through the village. twent up to he monkey temple to feed monkeys there, climb up to the tower to see a view over the city, visited a fabric factory/shop and the most interesting one was to see my driver/guide/friend's Indian guru (that was not an official part of a normal tourist tour) An interesting experience I must say, I am a bit sceptical and interested  with this kind of things but he was able to tell things about me that would be  quite impossible to guess by the first look or even observing a person for a moment. Still a bit scectical but mostly impressed.

Alltogether Jaipur was a great fun and exciting expereince. I finished night having dinner with my quide. Tomorrow moving on again. Thanks for everything jaipur.   

Comments

1

Wow I'm travelling to India In Oct this year for around 2 months, I cant wait to see the Pink city, How much did that sort of local tour cost??? I would love to meet a guru that would be amazing, im sure it was a blast :)

  kellyanne123 Feb 17, 2012 2:23 PM

2

Hi Kellyanne. I paid 600 rupees for 6 hours tour and I paid his dinner about 275 rupees. I don't know how much they usually get for that but he simply refuse to say any price. He said to pay according how happy I was with service. I had a similar tour in Delhi via an agency and it was 650 rupees. It is worth taking an autoricksaw to get around, Indian streets are quite chaotic without proper footpaths and distances are pretty long between different sighs. I wish you amaxing trip here in India.

  henrika_traveller Feb 20, 2012 6:10 PM

About henrika_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.