Existing Member?

Henrika's Fascinating Adventures

Touring around Delhi

INDIA | Saturday, 4 February 2012 | Views [414]

Yesterday, I was a rather busy and threfore I have spent most of the day in the hotel sleeping.I took a tour around Delhi by a private driver since ho ho bus wasn't available. Luckily it is having a tour is still pretty cheap.  It is winter in Delhi and day temperature around 20c. This is busiest tourist season and many things have sold out and also prices here in Delhi are more than expected. I also booked the tour to hotter parts of India before heading to North to live in a temple and do some yoga and meditation.

On Delhi tour I got to see places that are completely different from this part of the city I am staying.  Well paved roads, more cars than other objects moving on the road, green parks and modern buildings. Some part of Delhi are very modern with all the UK shop chains like Mark&Spencer to name one. I also found am ATM to withdraw more cash. I was getting worried because I didn't see any bank or ATM  around here. Now I can see why not. I must say that I am very happy that I ended up staying here in old Delhi. I get different perspective to Indian everyday living.

A few words of traffic. It is as mad as it is famous for. For some reason they drive like I when I was driving the lisence in Dublin:  They don't keep  a car between the white lines. Though I am sure they could if they wanted, but they don't. They have no respect for lanes, driving on the lanes is not a part of the culture here.  The horn is the most important control in traffic. However, despite all the chaos, I haven't see any crash, at least not yet and I am already able keep my eyes open while on car all the time. After all Indians are good drivers, they are able to steer cars from the narrowest gaps and reverse from the spots to the busiest roads.

It is the weekend and unfortunately my boring duty is to find a way to wash my clothes before heading to traveling around. Since I am carrying  everything in the backpack,  I am running out of clothes. But it is weekend and 2 more days left here in Delhi, I gotta do also some fun. Wait and see what it is going to be.

About henrika_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.