Existing Member?

My African adventure

I'll never moan about the state of my gym again

GHANA | Tuesday, 28 December 2010 | Views [664] | Comments [2]

So at 7 o’clock this morning, John, Gerald and I set out for the local gym, local being the operative word. And gym in the loosest sense but nevertheless it had all the equipment we needed, not to mention my own personal trainer, Bibi. He started off with a series of circuits to get our circulation going – which of course it did even at that time of the day, the temperature being around 25°. Forgot to mention that it’s an “indoor” gym – it just doesn’t have a roof. The equipment looks as if it’s decades old (it probably is) but it did the trick. Bibi put me through my paces with shoulder presses, sit-ups, triceps curls etc – and I’m happy to say that all 6 or so Ghanaian guys were impressed. Hurray – all that work at LA Fitness paid off! Poor Gerald (sorry, Gerald, if you’re reading this ...) felt quite faint at one point owing to the amount of alcohol in his blood when he started. By the time he finished, there was certainly none left!

The other major event of today was the poor state of health of both Gerald and myself owing to taking our malaria pill before we’d eaten (and after training hard). Without going into too much detail, suffice it to say that breakfast disappeared quicker than it arrived – we won’t be making that mistake again.

Our next mission today  is to interview the general manager of the hotel we’re staying in to find out what they do as regards booking etc.  It seems as if the season in Ghana is from Feb to Nov so the hotels tend to be less busy around Christmas and the New Year. So my message to all of you out there is – come to Ghana for your next family Christmas holiday break. It’s relatively inexpensive to fly here, it’s certainly value for money if you choose the right hotel and restaurant – and of course the weather  and people are amazing. And I'd be delighted to act as your personal guide!

Now to answer Wendy’s question ... No, there is no sighting of the Wel sign. I’ve hunted high and low, and it’s not to be seen. There’s not even a Welcome sign!

Hopefully next instalment will include photos of the gym and a brief synopsis of where we are, business-wise.

 

Comments

1

Just caught up with all your blogs on this trip. Good luck with the meetings etc.and find time for relaxation too!! Happy New Year and see you before long. Love S & T x

  Sue Allett Dec 30, 2010 10:43 AM

2

Sounds like you are making the most of every minute there. Good on you !
Can't wait until the next installment.

BTW something big is happening in Ambridge tomorrow. As I'm not an Archers' fan it won't mean a thing to me... but I'll get Charlie to do a synopsis for you !

Love and happy new year..

A x

  Anne Fenton Jan 2, 2011 7:23 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.