Existing Member?

My African adventure

If Paradise is half as nice ...

GHANA | Tuesday, 19 January 2010 | Views [432] | Comments [3]

…. then please let me be first in line!

So here we are on our first day at the National Park. We got up all bright eyed and bushy tailed and started our guided safari walk through the jungle. First off were the numerous warthogs (ugly but delightful little fellows) who stay in families so there’s always mum, dad and 3-4 kids. Then equally numerous bushbucks (with white stripes and spots) and kobs ( no stripes/spots). Green monkeys who are quite shy so ran away when they saw their intrepid cousins. Crocodiles were lazing pool-side then glided in to the watering hole to cool off. Then the best bit – one pretty large African elephant. He was covering himself in mud, spraying himself and was perfectly happy to be the centre of attention.

 

So after three glorious hours we returned to the Motel where we sat poolside (bit like the crox really, gliding in from time to time …), quietly contemplating our very special morning, until a baboon appeared and pinched my water pouches that I’d just bought! More and more of the family appeared, one of them even slapping Linn 1’s arm when she tried to prevent it from taking our stuff! Quiet resumed, after lunch sitting at the viewing platform for hours looking at the stunning views, all of us congratulating ourselves on being there (no mean achievement, given the journey!). Slight mayhem when English Tom called us to say that there was an elephant behind our row of chalets, so we all dashed over and managed to get within 10 metres of the large fellow.

 

Again, he (a different one) didn’t mind us watching, taking pix etc, but this is because it was a Savannah elephant (more placid) and not a Forest elephant (more aggressive) and was a male (surprisingly, more placid) and not a female (most surprisingly, more aggressive. Imagine coming face to face with a female Forest elephant!!)

 

Having had so much fun, I decided to go on a second early morning safari walk, despite the fact that I’d been up since 4 a.m. saying goodbye to Linn 1. This time we saw Mr E early in the safari so spent ages watching him playing, spraying and moving very slowly – although (not many people know this) elephants are the second fastest animals in Africa after the cheetah. Caught up with the usual suspects – monkeys, deer, warthogs, crox … and had a lesson on the jungle from finding out that the aardvark makes its home by building a complex system of tunnels, then will abandon it to make a new one, and the old one will be used by poachers to hide and then pounce on their unsuspecting victims, similarly the lions and hyenas will do this. Then there are the footprints – the elephant’s is highly identifiable so the guides can calculate what time they’ve passed by, by looking at other animal’s foot/paw prints e.g. we came across an elephant’s print that had a bandicoot’s print on top. As the bandicoot is nocturnal, the guide knew that the elephant must have passed through several hours earlier, in the dark, and therefore would be too far away for us to catch him up.

 

We also learned that they burn old leaves from the trees, in the dry season, to enable new leaves and shoots to grow very much faster.

 

Back to the Motel and time again to sit at the viewing platform – this time greatly rewarded by watching a family of 8 elephants swimming and playing together in the nearby watering hole. It felt a complete privilege to watch these animals at play in their natural habitat.

 

Day 3 saw me spending the first two hours sitting on the viewing platform with two others, silently contemplating how peaceful it all is and how peaceful I felt, how lucky I was/am to be here fulfilling my dream and that all will be well … We were again lucky that our elephant friends came out to bathe, cooling off and playing together.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I then got taken to the nearest village, which is famous only for its allegedly 15th century mosque which is reputedly the oldest mosque in Ghana – along with several others whose inhabitants also claim this level of maturity. My driver and guide was Enasuah, a 19 year old with a pretty cool motor bike. SEE THE PIC OF ME ON THE BACK - I NEVER THOUGHT I'D HAVE THE NERVE BUT HEY, I'M HERE IN GHANA SO ANYTHING GOES! He wanted to introduce me to his “sister” who works at an orphanage on the way to Larabanga (the village with the mosque). When we met, she wanted me to work as a volunteer (where have I heard this before …. ) and of course to donate some money. It’s a bit like that here – they see an Obruni as Rich White Person. Anyway, we were soon on our way and found the mosque which was surprisingly interesting, architecturally speaking – see pix. Enasuah didn’t seem perturbed by our difference in age, as he kept putting his hand on my knee during the 5kms ride, which I kept brushing off, in the end telling him how old my two sons were – that shut him up! It’s a bit like that here – they see an Obruni and think that we’d love to be their “friend” and apart from knee-touching, are desperate to take your mobile phone number!

 

Anyway, to end - Molé is truly somewhere to find peace and harmony and to make friends – everyone is there to soak up the beauty and we all exchanged travel stories, experiences and advice on where to go, where to stay, how to get there.

Molé is a must on anyone’s itinerary when visiting Ghana …

 

Comments

1

Just been catching up on your stories and photos - what a time you are having! YOu seem to have packed such a huge amount into a relatively short space of time and what a mixture of things - the orphanage with its highs and lows, the shrine, now Mole which i'd never heard of before - clearly i am most ignorant!

YOu wanted to do something really different - and you certainly have. YOur ex-manchester pals are really proud of you. YOu seem to be so positive and all the photos show you smiling.

Hope the rest of your trip is equally interesting and worthwhile.

Saw Lesley and Adrian last night - together with Mark Dines and his wife, Mary Jane. Lesley recently bumped into them at the National Theatre so we decided to all get together. I don't know if you remember Mark - he hasn't changed much personality-wise and was very glad to meet up with us again.

Take care

  Michelle Jan 19, 2010 9:21 AM

2

Wow some great photos and descriptions again Helen.
It all sounds fantastic. Cant believe that you have written all that today ! Dull and cloudy here..
Brian and Cheryl came here last Sun. for supper (Brians birthday) all well. Not going to Simons gig tonight but will give him call or email. Keep up with the sun tan lotion !! X

  Sue Jan 20, 2010 3:41 AM

3

Sounds and looks absolutely wonderful. You seem so much more relaxed than in your postings from the orphnage - I wonder why!

Wonder whether Enasuah's "Sister"'s orphanage would have been any different.

Anyway I'm glad you're having such a great time.

Colin x

  Colin Altman Jan 22, 2010 10:19 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.