Existing Member?

My African adventure

A day in the life of ....

GHANA | Saturday, 12 December 2009 | Views [550] | Comments [10]

Friday 11th December, Swedru and Akwaakwaa, Ghana Woken up as usual by the several cockerels that seem to know how much I love being woken up at 5 a.m. At just after 6, get up for my bucket shower and then venture outside to do some washing - two buckets, one for washing, the other for rinsing. Breakfast of oats and pineapple prepared by Claudia, one of the daughters at my host family. I'm not allowed to help, owing to my age, so getting older does have some compensations! Kirsten, the German volunteer who joined me on Weds, and I leave at about 7.30 to walk the half mile or so to the tro-tro bus stop at Texaco, even though it's a Shell garage (don't ask!). We buy some sweets for the kids at the orphanage en route. At Texaco we are met with a flurry of activity and calls of Accra, Accra or Wineba, Wineba spoken very loudly to attract customers. We however are headed for Akwaakwaa where the orphanage is situated. Our tro-tro duly arrives and we get on, squeezing between several locals, some with produce that they intend to sell, others with babes. After several pot-holes and heads banging against the side of the bus, we arrive at the orphanage, having paid a huge sum of 80 peshwars. We are greeted by several of the toddlers who seem genuinely pleased to see us and we them. They are generally smiling and start to climb on us, so we have to pick them up. Often more than one at a time. I now know that this is why I've had to go to the gym to strengthen my back all these months. I have Pamela strapped to my back, Africa-style, and I carry Lena in my arms. All the while, several of the other under 2s want to play so we sing "If you're happy and you know it ..." and they all gather round and laugh. That's why I'm here, I guess. After some time of playing, it's time to work so Madame gives me a brush made out of twigs and I sweep the dining room floor to clear up the breakfast mess. The dining room is rather drab and dreary and could do with some splashes of colour - something to think about for a future project. Back to the babes and time to feed Pamela. As she's 6 months old, she can take a drink from a cup which is just as well, as there doesn't seem to be any bottles - and even if there were, they wouldn't have a clue about sterilising. Cups, food, toys and clothes are all handed from one to the other so I start to question our WEstern obsession with cleanliness and hygiene. But not for long - every day at least 2 or 3 children have to be taken to the clinic up the road as they are sick, the most common ailments being malaria and worms. (Thank goodness for all the vaccinations I had before I left ...) As long as the children have insurance cards, they can get treated. If not, then either they are sent away or the volunteers - who Madame has cleverly asked to take them - have to pay out of their own money. Next, I have to sort out the huge pile of donated clothes and decide to sort them into boys and girls clothes. This may sound obvious but the permanent workers put them in anything that's to hand (these are the toddlers, not those old enough to attend school).I also put them into piles depending on size - again, the tiny babies have been put in clothes ridiculously too big for them. That done, more cuddles and play-time till it's time to walk up to the local village shops to buy some washing powder for the washing machine we discover. When we return with the powder, we're told by Madame that they can't use the machine as they haven't paid their electricity bill - and they hand me the last two months bills, probably expecting/hoping me to pay. I don't! By this time, it's time to leave so we say our fond farewell to our "babes" and flag down a tro-tro heading back to Swedru and relative normality. I can't wait for the bucket shower and to change out of the clothes that Pamela and her chums have sat on, wee-ed on ...

Comments

1

Fascinating to read all this Helen- and it does just show how we take everything for granted here. It sounds as though you are enjoying it though. You're so brave to take on such a challenge! I shall let you know of any dramatic developments in Ambridge but at the moment it is really dull. Just lots of yucky coo-ing over baby Oscar and Hellin being two-timed by her slimy boyfriend.
Take care! Love Barbara x

  Barbara Williams Dec 12, 2009 5:06 AM

2

That Madame sounds extremely clever to me. Sounds like they want all u volunteers for your cash!!!!! Good plan, keep your wallet shut until u find a project u really fancy.
Lots of love , hon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Ruth C Dec 12, 2009 5:34 AM

3

I have now read everything, sorry it's taken so long for me to do so, been a bit busy!!!!! You sound fabulous and you've already done so much in a short space of time......I told you you'd adopt a baby. Give the Madame nothing, give the children YOU! Your ability to adapt appears even better than you thought it would be (I had no doubts at all). Keep smiling and be happy. Lots of love from me and the kids

  Alex L Dec 12, 2009 8:49 PM

4

Hi Helen,
SORRY for not contacting before! (I had to say that didn't I?) What fabulous experiences your having it is another world which I can't really imagine. Your very good about roughing it I don't think I could do it! Havn't seen Sue yet since her trip to Africa. Take care and keep well.
Love Cheryl

  Cheryl Dec 13, 2009 12:38 AM

5

Hey Helen. I've been a bit lapse with reading your blogs to date, but I've just caught up now and wanted to drop you a line to say that your experiences sound amazing! Definitely watch out for Madame, though. If you hand over any cash now, you will be bombarded when you come to leave. (I learnt this lesson with my own volunteering stint in Madagascar... but forgot to mention it to you.) Your pal Alex L is right - give the children YOU! That's what you're there for.

Am looking forward to hearing more of your adventures over the next few weeks. Alex C xx

  Alex C Dec 13, 2009 10:29 PM

6

Wow Helen, I can't believe how much you have accomplished already and it sounds like you're well into the swing of things... hope you are enjoying it! You're not missing much at work, thankfully, starting to wind down now for the festive season.

  Fiona Dec 14, 2009 5:49 AM

7

The orphanage sounds like a mix between the fun and enjoyment of the babies and the shabby poverty which prevails. Is there electricity in Swedru where you are staying? Is the food very repetitive?

Here it's got cold and remains often wet, but I guess that mid-Dec means that's quite normal. Of course, it also means that we have a leak in the kitchen sink, and that there is a shopping frenzy for Christmas. How is Christmas viewed in Ghana?

Are you learning any local lingo? Any African songs...well, more African than the wheels on the bus, which I thought could surely have been sung as the wheels on the tro tro at the very least

Any phone reception where you are?

Thinking of you, hoping the time flies by (your posts suggest it is)

Mrs O H

  Mrs O H Dec 15, 2009 6:10 AM

8

Oh Helen, your references to the tro tro touts with their Winneba / Accra chanting filled me with waves of nostalgia - that sound at the Shell garage is one of my vividest memories. Is the Knorr Shito yellow and red hoarding still on that corner? It sounds as though your placement is working out well and you are negotiating your way through it all like a pro - fantastic!!

  Wendy Dec 15, 2009 8:47 AM

9

Hi Helen, I finally got the sense to check your blog and stop waiting for an email. And what an amazing read, and I love the pictures. It sounds the most wonderful adventure, challenging, tiring, eye-opening. I hope it's everything you hoped it would be. It certainly seems to be. I think everyone should have some experience of that kind so that we know how amazingly priveliged we are in our houses with water, electricity, plentiful food, free health care etc. Carry on enjoying and cuddling. Much love, Lesley

  Lesley Dec 15, 2009 11:15 PM

10

H Helen. Sounds like you're into the swing of things already! Glad it's all positive. I can just imagine the scenes from your descriptions and keep waiting for you to say you have met Precious from the No 1 ladies detective Agency or maybe there's a thought for a change of career for you.............. keep those stories, and buckets of water, coming. I'll turn off my tap when I brush my teeth tonight. Paula

  Paula Griffiths Dec 16, 2009 1:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.