Existing Member?

The Saga of Heather's Travels ... the story of a dream come true

The Stunning Sukhothai, World Heritage Site, and ancient capital of Siam

THAILAND | Thursday, 17 September 2009 | Views [545] | Comments [3]

This is such a beautiful site, and as I have free internet again,I thought it warranted a story of it's own, and please do look at all the photos. It is a partly restored ruin, set among lakes moats canals and trees, with gigantic buddhas, stupas (the big pointy things) and many different and varied statues and monuments. It is beautifully restored and maintained, and the local people are justifiably very proud of the site which dates to 12th and 13th century, when Sukhothai was the capital of Siam, and was where the king resided at that time. Sukhothai is a lovely little town in it's own right, clean and friendly and easily accessible, and the old city site is about 1/2 an hour tuktuk ride from town. I had such a lovely time there, but moved on today, and am now in MaeSot, which is on the Burmese/Myanmer border. Unfortunately I cant do a day trip into Burma, as I would lose too much of my visa, but can go and see the "friendship bridge" and see the markets and the diversity of cultures there. The refugee centres I had hoped to visit are further south, and it seems one needs a permit, obtained in Bangkok to do voluntary work there. So, tomorrow I hope to get out of town to a Gibbon protection centre, which seems to be for injured and orphaned Gibbons, a little like the more famous Orangatan centre in Indonesia. I hope to have more to report on that later. The trip to MaeSot today, from Sukhothai was interesting as it was over a large hill, which appeared to mostly be rain forest, so I was fascinated. Even though I was in a non a/c minivan, meant for 9 small people and there was 13, I had a window seat, all windows were open, and as I sat with the wind streaming through my hair, crossing this (smallish) mountain, I couldn't help thinking that there is no where in this world I would rather be!!

Comments

1

Hi there heather havent checked in for awhile but am so excited about all the interesting travels you are having, sounds like you are having an awesome experience,and your only just beginnig!! good stuff sounds pretty tempting to me!!! Kind regards Jean

  Jean lindsay Sep 23, 2009 2:31 PM

2

Hi Heather. I'm following your journals from my dinner table (where the computer lives) - peering over your shoulder - amazing technology! It's great to read about it all, and have now become one of your followers. I visited Sukhothai briefly 15 years ago, as part of a crazy group trip I did with Explore - one of my most memorable holidays. I have to report I've been back to work for a day on the referral phones - not sure if this is the right place for chit-chat! Keep up the writing, and enjoying life. Judy

  Judy Bailey Sep 23, 2009 11:17 PM

3

Hi Heather,Just had a lovely browse of your photo gallery. And read of your latest adventures. Just amazing.

That lovely smile you have on your face while riding on the elephant said it all.

Take care
Trish

  Trish Cameron Oct 2, 2009 5:37 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.