Existing Member?

The Saga of Heather's Travels ... the story of a dream come true

Koh Mak, and then back to Bangkok....

THAILAND | Saturday, 5 September 2009 | Views [476] | Comments [2]

Well, I am finally safely back on the mainland and in a nice hotel in Bangkok, after a beautiful week on this lovely island. However, the last few days were very wet wet wet, tropical storms actually aren't alot of fun. - Especially when you have to leave your cabin for food, or any other human contact! The thunder and lightening were amazing, but continual, and there were a few mad dashes to get anywhere. Then the boat was cancelled, I should have left earlier like most people did, but no! I thought it would be over in a day, ha ha ha was I wrong! Anyway, finally yesterday, there was a mad 90 minute boat trip that usually takes 50mins in torrential rain, boat packed with people, sea choppy, and a skipper determined to get there as fast as possible, and not to slow down for any waves, no matter how big! Everyone was drenched, a few looking green, but I no complain! Then came a 2 hour wait in a city called Trat, for a bus that I then discovered, wasn't really a tourist one, but local transport to Bangkok, you see they dont tell you these things when they suck you in and take your money!So, we stopped at every stop, the bus was packed, and not your luxurious tourist type bus at all and still pissing down all the way, bus leaked everywhere....but I still no complain. Arrival in Bangkok, 2 hours late, I have no idea where I'm going to stay, it's dark, and I have no idea where we are! I know the area I want to go, and I had heard someone refer to the "Museum Hotel, right by the river, not too expensive but very nice" Dodgy looking taxi driver said yes, he knew where it was, and would be 500B to get there. "No way" I shrieked, "I'll find another taxi!" .."How much you pay?" he asks, so cheekily, I say 40B - "ok" he says!! Ha ha talk about try to rip me off. Anyway, friday night traffic, the area is much further away than I thought, it's still raining, it's dark, and I'm very tired by now, and it becomes obvious that this little man has not a clue where this hotel is... around and around in circles we go - we ask people, noone knows, until, finally, the riverside clue jogs a policeman's memoory, and finally we find....not the Museum Riverside hotel, but the NewSiam Riverside Hotel!! Er um could of been my mistake there!! gulp, I gave the poor man 100B and slunk into the hotel! hahaha anyway, here I am after a good night sleep, and wonder of wonders, I have free internet, in my room, I am in heaven! Now for some planning, some resting, maybe some shopping (only for essentials as I have to carry everything!) and I hope to make contact with Soroptimists also, and maybe attend a meeting here. Oh, and it's stopped raining....it's all good!

Comments

1

Yay, good on your for getting back into Bangkok, must feel good to be able to get sorted and plan for the next leg! look forward to hearing where you plan to go next !

lots of love
xxx

  Michaela Sep 6, 2009 3:26 AM

2

Hi - What a wonderful journey
I am inspired
Great to chat tonight
Love Raylene

  Raylene Northcott Sep 7, 2009 8:28 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.