Existing Member?

Exploring the Carribean

Puerto Rico dreamin'

PUERTO RICO | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [187] | Scholarship Entry

When you reach the doors of the trans-Atlantic plane, Puerto Rico greets you with a flush of warm, bright air. It's not the heat that makes the vein on your forehead appear - it's a comforting kind of heat - the kind of feeling you get from one too many champagnes, or a long hug. Perhaps the same feeling Puerto Rican people give you.

Located a 2.5 hour flight south of Miami, Puerto Rico seems a world away. Majority of flights land in San Juan, the capital. Brightly coloured terrace hours dance on cobbled streets. The warm air seems to bring a sense of ease out in both tourists and locals. With winter boasting temperatures up to 30 degrees Celsius, it's difficult to feel anything but relaxed. The locals live on island time, so nothing happens with haste. Their understanding of basic principles of traffic are limited to say the least. Road markings appear to be more for decoration rather than to create any form of social order. However frustrating it may appear, it's all done with a smile and a wave.

Roughly 200kms southwest of San Juan lies Mayagüez. With a car, this city is a perfect base for exploring surrounding beaches and forests. One such location is Rincon. This area of the west coast has beaches which boast waves sought by surfers from all corners of the world. Remember that pencil you used to draw the ocean in kindergarten that was so aqua and so fluorescent it hurt your eyes? Much to my delight, that colour is a reality!

Partying and Puerto Rico are basically synonyms. Rum is considered the national drink, which makes sense because it’s available in almost any shade. As the world’s leading rum producer, they’ve really got it right. Highlights include Coquito, a festive drink made of rum, coconut milk, sweet condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Now if by some cruel twist of fate the deliciousness of Coquito gets the better of you, there is no place you will be better cared for. Puerto Ricans take you into their homes, into their kitchens, and into their hearts. Doused in never-ending sunlight, let Puerto Rico be your next holiday. You will leave this island with glowing skin, a deep breath, and more friends than you can count on your fingers and toes. Much like the people that live there, the island will take hold of you and never let you go.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About harriettatham


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Puerto Rico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.