Existing Member?

...and I took the one less traveled by

Killing Fields & more

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 28 June 2008 | Views [318] | Comments [1]

Yesterday we all hired a tuk tuk and went to the killing fields. I really expected it to be a lot... more? I thought it would be a much bigger area I guess. They have a monument built with all the skulls of the victims they have unearthed, but they've only unearthed less than half the area. There were plenty of signs telling what was what and where things used to be located. After that, we stopped at a place to go go-carting which was nearby. the 3 of them did it, and I took photos -- I was being stingy not wanting to pay $12 for 10 minutes... from there we went to the central market. I needed new sandals and Gary a new shirt. I also bought a traditional Khmer/Cambodian checked scarf. After that we came back to our guesthouse to shower and go out for dinner. Tom hadn't arrived and it was an hour later so we left. We had just sat down to dinner at a place by the river when... Tom showed up!  He had been riding in a tuk-tuk and saw us walk across the street. Timing is everything....   We had a little birthday celebration for Gary and got a tuk-tuk back to our GH. on the way back, we saw a mini carnival. We asked our tuk tuk driver to stop and we went in. we bought tickets to ride the mini kids rides. the first one we went on was the rollercoaster which we thought would be a dinky ride that doesnt get much speed. we were very wrong. this was as full blown of a rollercoaster as you could get at a carnival. we LOVED it. we did bumper cars and then the viking ship and then threw darts. We were only there maybe 30 min. but we had a GREAT time. After we just came back to the GH to lounge around on the mats/cushions. 

THis morning Julia and I got up and went to the Royal Palace. VERY similar to the grand palace in bangkok. Will explain a bit more later but I have to catch a bus to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat right now!!! :)

Comments

1

That is only one of numerous sites of mass graves that have been uncovered. I'd recommend a visit to the s21 museum which might shed some more light on the full scope on what really happened in Cambodia.

Enjoy Angkor, it's fantastic. Try visiting the awesome overgrown Ta prohm & Preah kahn temples as well as Angkor Wat itself.
Cheers,

  stowaway Jun 28, 2008 4:38 PM

About happywanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.