Existing Member?

...and I took the one less traveled by

The Trek

THAILAND | Friday, 13 June 2008 | Views [235]

Yesterday we woke up around 7 so we could go get a nice breakfast in before being picked up at 8 for our trek. The truck picked us up and we were on our way, after stopping to pick up others as well. There were 9 of us total: the 2 Aussies from the day before -- Vaneesha and Rebecca, 3 Irish-- 2 girls and their uncle, 2 English girls-- Nikki & Max. First we drove for about 30 minutes to the Orchid and Butterfly farm. The Orchids were amazing, and the butterflies were too, but they were hard to get close to or see too much because, well, they'd fly away. From there we went to the Long Neck village and... some other other hill tribes. They're tiny little villages, most likely only set up for tourists, but the people were very nice and it was really interesting to see. The long necks start putting the rings around the girls' necks at 5 months old!! I also didn't realize the had rings aroun their upper calf muscles, although those don't get added too, just made bigger as they grow.

From there we went to see elephants!!! Julia and I got put on a 17 year old male elephant for a 1 hour ride around the area. We had a guide/trainer sitting on the elephant's head/neck to steer him around, but our elephant pretty much did his own thing. we forged new trails and tore down underbrush, complete with our elephant taking down, and eating, and ENTIRE banana tree. yes, it can be done. if he found something up, or down, a bank that he wanted to eat, he went for it, no mind that we were perched on his back. We thoroughly enjoyed it though!!! :)


At the end of that, I bought bananas to feed the elephants. One of the elephants was so well trained that it could say thank you and hello (raise trunk, bow, make noise). That part was great as well!

From there we had lunch and then drove a bit further, over massive and MANY potholes (3-8 inches deep? every 2 or 3 feet?) to start our trek. We hiked uphill, narrow narrow paths, climbing over boulders and such to reach a waterfall. This waterfall was at least twice the size I thought it would be and the tiny pool at the base of it only about knee deep. I think all but 2 of us ended up going in for pictures and because we were so sweaty it seemed the sensible thing to do. (Don't worry mom, I didn't get any in my mouth!) After a bit of relaxing in this amazing jungle mountain area, we hiked back down. Julia and I crossed a fallen tree 10 feet off the ground-- the "professional" way as our guide said.

This forest/jungle is sooo unbelievably green and lush, banana trees, bamboo, rubber trees (the GIANT ones in the pics) all over the place. It was so nice to just be there.

After that we went to "white water" raft, although the biggest falls/rapids we went over were maybe 4 feet down, and the river was never more than a paddle deep. We still had a great time just being on the river and floating through the area. At the end, we took a bamboo raft for about 15 minutes. Although bamboo floats... you're still sitting in about an inch of water. We had been told to bring dry clothes at the end, so we changed when we reached shore. From there we drove over an hour back to Chiang Mai, half of it over those same potholes.

a VERY wonderful, exciting, but exhausting day was had by all! We hope to meet up with some of the girls later in the trip if it works out... at least share pictures from the day.

Last night we went for a bite to eat, booked our trip to Laos, and then headed to the night market to pick up a few little things.

Today, in about 30 minutes we will get picked up and driven by bus to Chang Kong (sp?) on the Thai/Laos border. In the morning we cross the river into Laos and take a slow boat to Luang Prabang, stopping in Pak Beng for the night. SO, if you don't hear from me for 3 days... that's why!  :)  

Bon Voyage!

About happywanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.