Existing Member?

Hackett Travels Life's about the journey, not the destination

Fremantle

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 5 June 2013 | Views [295]

We decided to abort the Rottnest plan today for various reasons but the weather, while beautiful blue sky in the morning, turned out to be grey and a little drizzly in the afternoon so the decision proved to be the right one!

Instead we headed to Fremantle, about half an hour outside Perth and by the sea.  We had lunch at Cicerello's on the harbour - self proclaimed No.1 for fish and chips in WA!  It was pretty good and they had some amazing tropical fish tanks inside.  

Next we went to the Maritime Museum where we did a tour of a retired submarine - HMAS Ovens.  It was a fascinating hour walking round the submarine, a very cramped environment even for someone as small as me!  No space wasted and pipes/valves etc everywhere!  There was also a small free display next to the museum of steam engine engineering - Chris was in his element and a lovely old man spent some time explaining each one to us.

We finished the day in Fremantle by visiting the prison - did the Doing Time tour and were the only 2 on it!  The prison was built/inhabited by the original convicts transported to the region and still used as the main prison up until 1991.  Its now a World Heritage site and another fascinating tour.

We were going to head to Cottesloe for a sundowner by the beach but it was very cloudy so no sunset to watch but we went for a quick drink anyway before driving back to Perth for dinner.

Tomorrow is Chris's birthday and we're off to the Margaret River region.

Tags: convicts, history, port, submarine

About hannahhackett

At Cloudy Bay

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.