Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Boat House

THAILAND | Monday, 12 December 2011 | Views [557]

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Some holiday this is turning out to be! I’ve never been so busy! Up at 7.30 for an early start as today we go to the JEATH war museum. It is only quite small and run by one of the temples, set up in 1977. JEATH stands for Japan, England, America, Australia, Thailand and Holland, the main countries involved in building the “death railway” from Burma to Thailand and crosses the famous River Kwae (or Kwai) and if you believe the movies, the British were single handed responsible for destroying it and thus wreaking havoc with the Japanese. Mmmmm – maybe not.

What was quite interesting was, that in the beginning the Japanese were keen for photographs to be taken, and they show healthy looking, smiling workers, but as conditions deteriorated cameras were banned and a lot of the records are drawings the prisoners did from memory when they returned home.

 

Next we headed to the raft house. The best way to describe this is like a big mobile home that you find in a caravan park, floating on the river. There were two sections, one was a big function area used to eat in and later to party and karaoke and the other was for sleeping and lounging during the day.

We were undecided amongst ourselves what was going to happen next, did we just sit here on the edge of the river and chill out? How were we getting to the Dragon temple, were we jumping on a motor boat or going in a bus? The answer soon became clear as a small motor boat pulled up, hitched himself to the raft house and towed us off.

After hurtling about like loonies and cramming loads into every day it was nice to relax and chill a while, watching the scenery pass by.

We cruised to a temple (surprise surprise) that was a dragon temple, the steps up were in a tunnel which you entered by the dragons mouth and climbed up, emerging from his tail. There was a loud speaker system which was constantly reciting stories of people doing good deeds and getting enlightenment, the lady telling the stories had a very mellow voice and it was very hypnotic listening to her speak, but we couldn’t understand a word because it was all in thai.

We went into the temple at the top of the hill and were blessed by a monk, which involved burning incense sticks and sprinkling us with water.

Then to make an offering to make the spirits happy, we set off fire crackers outside. This seemed very dangerous, was very noisy and immense fun!

Back on the house raft we cruised some more and there were big rubber rings which we could float on down the river. We cruised till about 4 pm and then stopped again to see a tiger temple, but first we visited the local market and saw some weird and wonderful things. The fish were still alive and swimming around in a bucket, deep fried chicken feet, bags full of insects to eat, sweet coconut rice wrapped in banana leaves, the ultimate recyclable packaging.

All the temples seem to be up steps, not sure if this was some kind of symbolic thing, I never got round to asking Sam, as I was usually too out of breath from climbing up. But climbing up means there are some amazing views, we watched the sun set over paddy fields and it was beautiful.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.