Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Street Vendors

THAILAND | Saturday, 29 October 2011 | Views [539]

Street Vendors

While trying to find places to see I was suggested to visit several markets, which at the time I declined, it’s too soon to start shopping yet, but wandering around Bangkok I came to the conclusion that the whole place is one big market! If there was a spare inch of pavement anywhere, someone set up a store or a food cart. Most sell clothes, some shoes, jewellery, CD’s, a few sold books or pictures, lots of cheesy souvenirs, plastic Buddha’s, good luck charms, knock off designer goods, sunglasses.

The food carts are..... interesting.

All my food hygiene training, everything I know about food safety, every concept of cleanliness- out the window! Eating at the carts is ridiculously cheap, about 20 baht, which is 50p, so overcoming the fear of food poisoning can save an awful lot of money. It took me two days, but after watching others regularly eating at them, and trying to work out the best strategy, I plucked up the courage to try one. I picked a busy stand, working on the theory that a high turnover meant the food wasn’t stood around long, and I ate vegetarian, because the thought of chicken sat out in 30degree heat freaked me out!

So, vegetable pad thai from a street cart was good, not spicy, just noodles with veg, and I lived to tell the tale! I may have to try it again.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.