Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Learning to snow board

FRANCE | Wednesday, 30 March 2011 | Views [676]

Hello again,

This year I was supposed to be learning to snowboard........

I hired a board and boots, stood in the flat trying to work out how to put the thing on, tried to work out how to do the boots up and then didn’t touch it again for weeks.

Abby and Ben wanted to learn to board as well so eventually we got ourselves organised and Rick gave a beginners guide to boarding.  When skiing it is best to start on very flat piste till you get the hang of turning and then progress to steeper runs, with boarding it actually works better if you learn on a steep piste.  So we headed off to a beginner run which was steep but short with a button lift and started practicing heel edges and toe edges.

The snow was getting really sketchy and we had blue skies for weeks, so no one was really bothered about going out up the mountain and we had quite a lot of help learning the beginnings. Jim, Chris and Rick are all experienced boarders and kept helping, but I’m sure they came to laugh at us falling over more than anything.

I learnt a very important lesson early on, don’t keep your keys in your pocket, because you will fall over, and when you land on the keys it bruises and hurts.

After being taught the basics, the boys went off and left us to practise. After about 10 minutes on our own Abby looked at me and said “ You know what I really fancy? A hot chocolate!” that sounded like a great idea, so we stopped, headed to the bar and spent the rest of the afternoon gossiping and drinking hot chocs.

The next day we were meeting up to practise again. Because we were on the baby slopes we walked up instead of queuing for the button because it was quicker, but after 3 runs we were both shattered and decided to go for a Vin Chaud, that was the end of boarding for that day......

In total we were out everyday for about 2 weeks, but we probably only did about 8 hours boarding and 30 hours nattering and drinking hot chocolate, although the highlight for me was learning to get off a chairlift and doing a run from the top of mountain. Admittedly it was on my heel edge and there were no turns but I got from top to bottom so that was cool.

Then half term happened.

The pistes were rammed with French babies learning to ski and me learning to board, without to much control, it was too dangerous and an accident waiting to happen so I went  back to skis and unfortunately have not boarded since. Oh well, maybe next year.

Take care all

H xxxx

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.