Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Chatsworth House (sept 2010)

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 4 November 2010 | Views [485] | Comments [1]

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Chatsworth House

Hello everyone, hope this blog finds you well, sorry it’s been so long but been busy, busy ,busy!

Remember way back in June when when we got rediverted from M62 and Lauren wanted to go to Chatsworth House because she found a picture of it in the map book? Well we finally made it.

We hired a car from Oxford, which was an adventure in itself. We had to get a bus to the outskirts of town, so we asked the nice people at the Information Office where to catch it from and which number to get on. We could get on a 1,2,3,4 or 7 and the bus stop was in the centre of town, sounds simple enough. We got to the bus stop and waited, and waited and waited. We saw every bus number go past except the one we wanted. After about 40 minutes we decided if the bus did not appear either in the next 10 minutes or by the third bus to pass us, we were going to hail a taxi.

Would you credit it! The third bus was a number One, so on we hopped and headed off to get the hire car.

A quick stop at Tescos for a few essentials (chocolate, crisps and pop) and we were on the road!

I love a good road trip, radio blasting, windows open, laughing, getting lost, going round and round and round the roundabouts till you manage to get the right exit, it’s all good fun.

We eventually arrived in Derbyshire at 15.30 and went for a hike. The start of the walk was that well worn, with tracks all over we got confused and followed the wrong track, a bit of a false start, but by 16.00 we were on track and on our way.

We went through fields full of scary looking cows, which reminded me of something from Village of the Damned. The cows just stopped mid chew and eyeballed us as we walked past. Trying to stay calm and not run when realised the bull was also in the field was a real test of nerves, but we passed.

The scenery was fantastic, clouds that had been threatening rain all afternoon, turned out bright and sunny and the cows left us alone.

We decided to take a photo of both of us hiking using the timer button, we worked on the theory that we tried it on both mine and Laurens camera, we might get one decent picture between us. Might is very much the case. After 3 pictures with neither of us in, one of my foot, one with us both looking at the camera very bewildered and one with Lauren and my left arm in, we gave up. But we did laugh a lot.

We finished the walk and headed off to Hathersage where we were booked into a Youth Hostel. After a quick stop at Morrisons we were armed with roast chicken, salad and cous cous for supper.

The youth hostel was basic, but clean and easy to find, and we were both delighted to find it had a living room with squishy sofas and a TV! (OMG squishy is a real word!  Spell check did not reject it!) so after supper we crashed on the sofa and watched some telly, we were made up, funny how your priorities can change.

Saturday morning we headed to Chatsworth house. I don’t know if you have ever been, but it is quite spectacular, the approach gives stunning views and as it was September, the autumn colours were beginning to show on the trees adding to the splendour.

We hired the earphones with the audio tour so we knew what we were looking at and headed off round the house. Four poster beds, sumptuous curtains, amazing staircases, gliittering chandeliers, antiques galore, original rembrant paintings, tromp l’oeul , secret passages and hidden doors, all built by a Duke of Devonshire who wanted the king to come and visit, but he never did!

We learnt about Bess of Hardwick and her four husbands, Georgiana, duchess of Devonshire, the Mitford sisters and the current Dowerger Duchess, Deborah, interestingly, all the women of the house in what had been a male dominated world. The blokes apparently did not do much of interest!!

There was an art exhibition in the gardens, I’m not a great fan of modern art and most of it I don’t get, although I did recognise the table tennis table in polished steel for what is was, before I read the description and I quite liked the giant head with butterflies for hair.

Although the ladies have the most interesting stories in the house, the gardens are ruled by the blokes, but not the nobility. The head gardener won the competition to design Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition in eighteen something or another (1856 rings a bell but I could be way off) and the Emperor fountain was designed in an age when electricity had never been heard of, let alone electric water pumps, and yet it is one of the highest spurts at about 200 feet, all done by clever engineering and water pressure.

And even though we were on a weekend away and wanted nothing to do with canals, there was a grand canal water feature! We just can’t get away from it.

I would definitely recommend Chatsworth for a day out.

That night we went back to the hostel, had a pub meal out and then crashed on the sofa and watched X factor!

We had a great weekend, and ticked another thing off Laurens to do list.

 

 

Comments

1

It is Thursday evening 4 November here in New Zealand and I have just read about your day out at Chatsworth; I had almost forgotten going there some years ago on an extremely hot day. It is very interesting and makes history seem more relevant.
I was beginning to wonder whether you had given up writing your blog but am pleased you havent! Sort of gives me some virtual travel ... for which I thank you. I can just imagine you and Lauren giggling as you tried to take your photo.
And I trust you are all having a great time on the canals!
Best wishes,
Jean

  Jean Govenlock Nov 4, 2010 6:32 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.