Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Work hard, play harder

FRANCE | Monday, 8 February 2010 | Views [426]

Beginning Feb and other stuff

Wow what a busy couple of weeks this has been, I have had a ski lesson, lots of nights out, some great guests and lots of time on the slopes because there has been some fantastic snow dumps and spent a day skiing in La Plagne. Oh yeah, I’ve been busy at work as well.

Things are finally beginning to click and make sense, I can clean my chalet in 30 mins, I don’t have to read every recipe 8 times to be able to cook it and I have got my weekly shop down to one trolley full when i realised that 12 people don’t need 18 boxes of cereal! I feed my guests very well and so far no one has complained of going hungry, in fact as I kept bringing out each course last night they turned round and said, “MORE FOOD! Stop we can’t eat any more!”

When the guys from Airbus left, Gemma and I shared 20 guests, 10 each, who wanted to keep swapping about for dinner. I have enough trouble trying to remember my guests names, but when they keep changing  i got really confused. It was a fun week though. We entered the pub quiz on Thursday and came LAST, what a disaster, mainly due to the poorly constructed paper aeroplane which nose dived about one metre from the start line.

I then had a week with a mixed bunch, seven guests in a group and two groups of two. One of the couples were vegetarian, and they were expecting a week of cheesey pasta, so when they were served a variety of meals they wre delighted. On Thursday night we all did the pub quiz again and this time we came second, vast improvement, no pressure for this weeks guests who now only have the option of coming first. This was mainly due to Claire being very bendy and winning the competition to pick things up off the floor with her mouth and not bending her knees. As you may be beginning to gather this is not a conventional pub quiz!

We won a bottle of champagne for coming second which was drunk there and then, then we decided to try Jagermeister, this was a bad idea, as a result I was late for work on Friday, Claire and Paul did not manage to get out of bed for skiing till noon and Steve and Wayne looked very rough. I need to stop going to the Friday meeting looking like i have been partying all night. Early night this Thursday I think, all bets are on to see if i do or not hehehehe.

There have been some great moments, Ryan the Flexi Host jumped off a cliff doing a parapente, like a parachute jump without the aeroplane, it got so cold one day all the moisture in the air froze and it looked like someone had thrown glitter up in the air, sitting on a chair lift and all the snow on the ground sparkles like a Christmas card with glitter on, watching the sun set on Mont Blanc and it turning pink, finding a bar that has a pet cat that sits on your knee while you have a beer, finding a bar that serves draft cider, seeing a waterfall that has frozen (see photo), being at the top of the mountain looking down and realising you are above the clouds and my commute to work still makes me grin like an idiot as i walk along.

The novelty factor still remains on a lot of things as well, like putting footprints in fresh snow, catching snow drops on your tongue and skiing down a quiet piste on your own- bliss.

My skiing is definitely improving, I am completing red runs without much bother my turns are getting tighter and neater and i can now point my skis downhill and bomb along quite fast. I don’t like whiteouts though, I keep getting travel sick, everything in my body is saying that i am moving but my eyes are saying that i am standing still, it is very disorientating.

Had a great day out in La Plagne on Wednesday, skied from 09.30 till 4pm and had a fab time, then we all met in the Yeti bar for free beer and pizza après ski. I keep falling asleep fully clothed, wednesday was the worst example of this, as i fell asleep in salopettes, ski boots and ski jacket. I am definitely playing harder than i am working.

Anyway, i think that brings me up to date for, next time i will tell you about rumour control and some of the bizarre things that are flying about.

Take care all, see you in 12 weeks!!! xxx

 

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.