Existing Member?

Whispering tales of Magic

Cork August 2009

IRELAND | Thursday, 24 September 2009 | Views [710] | Comments [1]

Well i finally managed to get the right combination of money and time and decided to head out to Cork, as it is near Blarney and after reading my book there seemed to be plenty to do.

So Friday morning i got the number 51 Bus Eireann (www.buseireann.ie) to Cork, it was a 4 hour journey and the bus was packed, mainly because it goes to Shannon airport, where it emptied out a bit.

On the way i stopped over at Mallow and met up with my friend Michelle, we shared some beers, and caught up on the gossip. I stayed at the Hibernian Hotel, known locally as the HiBi. The staff were really friendly and the food was good, room was clean and would recommend it. (hibernianhotelmallow.com)

Arrived in Cork Saturday lunch time, got off the bus and headed off to find my hostel.It was in Shandon, which the guide book described as "Corks Latin Quarter" not quite sure about that, it all looked very Irish to me!!! But then again, i have been known to be one street away from all the action and completely missed out before.

The hostel was described as "A Laberynth" this was very correct, did not dare have too much to drink as i might get lost trying to find my room! to get to my room i went: up the stairs, turn right,turn left, past the computer room, through the door, turn right, down the corridor, up another set of stairs, ignore the door on the landing and carry on up more stairs, past the toilets, thru a door and my room was 3rd door on left!!!!!

I went to the butter museum, housed in the old butter exchange, did you know that Cork is butters equivalent to Saudi Arabia for oil? Cork set the price of butter for the rest of the world.

Went to Cork Gaol (see photos) kinda puts your life in perspective when you realise people were incarcerated for stealing a loaf of bread because they were hungrey, and people even got deliberately arrested just so they could have a decent meal and a bed for the night. But aside from that, the building is a spectacular place, Victoriana at its best!

While writing this we are at the end of September, and everyone keeps saying we had a bad summer, i don't know if i was in the same place as everyone else, but weather wise it was a great summer, and my weekend in Cork was no different, walking about, i wore no coat, i did not even take a brolly!

On the way home from the gaol, i popped into the Francescan Brewary, real ale in a real pub. Try a pint of Red Rebel. loverly.

I went bell ringing in St Annes, there was music for classics such as Starship- nothings gonna stop us now, Europe- the final countdown and 3 blind mice! I took a photo of the music to give you an idea. I climbed right the way to the top of the tower, the veiws over cork were great.

St. Annes is also called "the four faced liar" as at some point in the past the clocks on the bell tower all said a different time, but that had been fixed when i visited.

I walked to St Finbarrs Cathedral, but got distractedon the way and went shopping, I can't believe I went all that way and ended up in Primark! (called Pennys in Ireland) oh well i always was one for a bargain.

Anyway, eventually made it to the cathedral and looked around, also tried to find the Beamish brewery, i walked past it, but could not find a way in!

I spent two nights at a hostel called Bru Bar, it suited me as it was upstairs of a bar, so i was able to have a drink- or 3 lol. Met some crazy american tourits who were on a mission to find a drink they had tried before, and a very nice german lady who i spent the evening chatting to.

And then of course the high light of the visit was going to Blarney and kissing the Blarney Stone, after climbing up the scary, windy staircase and queing with everyone else, i hung backwards and upside down to kiss a stone that every man and his dog had kissed before me!!!! No worries about spreading swine flu here, just share the germs lol.

The gardens at Blarney are loverly too, there is a Witches Kitchen, Fairy Glen, Wishing Steps and waterfalls.

And, just to try and be really organised, I even did some Christmas shopping. This is ok, as long as i remember the safe place where i hid them.

Check out the photos

xxxx

 

Comments

1

Great to hear you're getting to see Ireland. Can't wait to catch up. love always Helenx

  Helen (little sister) Oct 12, 2009 1:52 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.