Existing Member?

The Orphanage Experience The Orphanage Exeperience is a non profit initiative, to take fun, educational & sustainable activities vital for a childs development to children in orphanages across the world. 2005 sees the Orphanage Experience off to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.

Welcome to The Orphanage Experience

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 23 November 2005 | Views [4965] | Comments [8]

Remember making pirates hats out of old newspapers?

Flying a kite made from sticks and magazines?

I bet you do.

But thousands of kids don’tNo matter where in the world, kids are kids.

Working with children in India I was making trains and crocodiles out of old shoe boxes, a part of my childhood that I had taken for granted, I soon realised that these were totally new concepts for the children, they had never made a kite, a hat, or played hopscotch - fun, simple, free and effective! There are millions of children in orphanages across the world, who never actually have childhood, the orphanages receive little or no funding, are understaffed and result in the children being unstimulated, uneducated and unloved. You cant even begin to imagine the conditions they live in and what they live without. The term ‘orphan’ has become obsolete and forgotten , but the reality is that an orphan is someone with no family, no ‘mummy’ or ‘daddy’…

So a few months a ago my flatmate and greatest pal Sarah suggested that we head overseas for a couple of months, great idea, but I wanted to do something else. After spending time both as a tourist and as a worker in foreign counties, I have found that the best times come from off the tourist track, with the real people, the real tastes and culture and from giving something back to places where you are a guest, and that give you so much. The Orphanage Experience was born as a way to combine our passion for travel with our passion for social responsibility.

Next week we leave for our OE,but this is not the typical Kiwi Overseas Experience, but an Orphanage Experience - in orphanages across Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos to teach the kids of South East Asia how to make shoe box trains… plus more!

 - sports days / sustainable arts and crafts

- dance, drama, and music / functional education: hygiene, environmental etc

- passing on innovative, effective & sustainable teaching methods to the teachers

 - and just giving the kids some of the love and fun that they deserve!!

Through various media outlets including this journal, we are raising an awareness of the plight and the issues facing children without families in institutions across the world. Ignorance amongst people in developed counties just perpetuates the conditions they live in, and the attitudes held of thier situations.

Over the last couple of months Sarah and I have been fundraising for financial donations that we can take to the orphanages to buy resources that they need. The support has been unbelievably overwhelming and generous. People have donated money, balloons, paint, and even the proceeds from sheep sold off a farm! I would like to give another HUGE thank you to you all!

You will be hearing from us on a regular basis, and we would also love to hear from you - feel free to get in touch with any comments or questions.

Hanna

Tags: The Planning Phase

Comments

1

Please contact Christy at World Nomads (christy@worldnomads.com) as we might be able to use our Footprints program to assist you with your orphanage. regards Simon Monk WorldNomads.com

  simon_monk Nov 23, 2005 3:13 PM

2

Teach me to make a shoe box train! Come the end of Jan. I will be volunteering in Nepal at an orphanage For two months, For much the same reasons mentioned above. It seems the slightests step out of our farmiliar world reviels another world full of likeminded friends with a common, simple and universial goal.

  Cassandra Worth Dec 4, 2005 3:47 PM

3

My sister and I are looking for an overseas orphanage to volunteer for, and we are kind of interested in this one. we hope to find a place by Jan. 2008. and New Zealand is one of our top interests. New Zealand and Australia. so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind maybe sending me an e-mail with some more information about your orphanage! that would be great!

  Luke Norris Feb 24, 2007 4:35 AM

4

I am looking for an orphanage to volunteer for in 2008. I have 6mths service to give and would like to use this time wisely. Ideally I would like the East, is there any where you can reccommend?? Kind Regards Dawn

  Dawn Brown Sep 30, 2007 6:38 PM

5

Dear Hanna,

Greetings to you from Ashirvad Orphan Home, india.

It is a pleasure to write to you and we have an Orphanage by name ASHIRVAD ( meaning Blessing ) with 75 children aged from 5 to 17. This orphanage is situated on the bank of Bay of Bengal in South India.

We would love to have you with us in case you are coming to india. Also if you know anyone who is interested to volunteer in an orpahanage in india, kindly direct them to us. We want these children to have their love and compassion.

you may please log on to www.freewebs.com/ashirvadhome to know more details about this orphanage.

god be with you.

In Christ,

Raja Sekher.

  RAJA SEKHER Feb 28, 2008 4:31 AM

6

Hello Hannah, Im a 24 year old female, currently saving for a trip through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I want to volunteer at an orphanage at some point during the trip. Would you recommend a particular orphanage for volunteer work? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Anika.

  Anika Jul 27, 2008 12:00 AM

7

Hello,
My friend and I looking into volunteering in Asia, Vietnam. He was born in Vietnam and spent a few years in an orphanage before being adopted by an American family. We are looking to spending a month in Vietnam, and give our time, love and care to the kids. Does anyone have any suggestions how we can do that without breaking the bank?

Thank you.

Julia

  Julia Dec 2, 2008 5:29 PM

8

Ayudham Society decided to start children‘AASTHA HOME ‘ at the same premises. ‘AASTHA is one of the best place for underprivileged children’s and providing every facility to children like lodging, boarding ,eating, education and healthy environment and valne added culture to help them to become a good citizen to our country.

  Ayudham society for old and infirm Jun 8, 2009 8:47 PM

About hanna_and_sarah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.