Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

Food for thought

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 11 July 2012 | Views [2107]

Eating my way through Malaysia has been food for thought. I have been thinking how important travel is for food, and how important food is for travel.

When you travel you must eat local food. I’m not sure you are really travelling if you go somewhere and don’t eat the local food. Staying inside a tourist resort eating macaroni cheese – have you really gone anywhere? Food, art, culture, history and people– that’s what takes you to that place when you travel.

Food can also take you somewhere when you are at home. At home in the middle of a cold, wet Wellington winter, a spicy Asam Lasksa might just take me back to Malaysia, if I just close my eyes a little I can be back there.

Nothing can beat getting on a plane, train or bus and going somewhere, but for me living in one of the most geographically isolated countries in the world, going somewhere can be expensive and time consuming.

When I get home in a few days, I am going to start travelling more, local journeys that take me around the world through food, art, people, culture and music in my own community.

I have travelled around the world over land and sea, and will continue to pack up and leave, but my challenge is now to travel more from my home.

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.