Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

Cooking with Goodness

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 11 July 2012 | Views [1841]

Pearly Kee should have her own talk show. She would do a bit of cooking, but she would also give advice, and just talk and talk, about anything she can.

I spent the day with Pearly at her home to learn how to cook traditional Nonya food, a blend of Chinese and Malay cuisine, borne by the Peranakans, the first Chinese settlers to Penang. First we visit her local market where she is a bit of a celebrity. Oh hai hai, oh hai, she waves across bananas and butchers to her favourite vendors.

She knows everyone and everything, describing fruits, meat and spices, what they are used for, why and a little story with each one. For Pearly cooking is not just about the cooking and eating, it is about the stories, rituals  and significance found in food and  how it keeps her traditional Peranakan culture alive.

We cook outside in the garden under a roof covering us from the monsoon rain. Pork in dark sauce, Chicken Kapitan and Nasi Prawns – her recipes, her culture and her stories.

For many years Pearly didn’t enjoy cooking so much. Cooking was handed down to her as an expectation and responsibility. It’s obvious now she comes alive in the kitchen, singing and giggling with knives and spoons waving, cracking jokes.

We add spice, stir and wait for her next instruction. She tells us how to hold the spatula to get the most goodness back into the meal. The goodness must go in says, get the goodness in.

Pearly Kee is the goodness. The food we cooked was the absolute goodness, but I think it is more due Pearly’s incredible goodness, that everything was goodness. 

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.