Existing Member?

Hannah and Jase's World Tour

Mumbai - 01/01/2007: Day 2-3.

INDIA | Monday, 1 January 2007 | Views [645]

31/12/2006 - We spent the day in Calaba. Checked out the 'gateway to india' - a fantastic big arch on the mumbai port that was used by the british as like a gate to india when india was a colony - redundant now.

Hannah is getting so used to the indian lifestyle to such an extent that on our way back to Khar Road she jumped onto a moving train that was pulling away (no doors and the carriage was for ladies only!) with me running frantically aside her on the platform....it was a deparate few seconds but thankfully she jumped off before the train picked up speed - typical! We waited and got the next train to Khar Road. I accidentally got on the luggage compartment to later find out that it is only used by cows and goats...!

New years eve - we went to west bandra, the bollywood area of mumbai and had a nice vegetarian indian meal - parathas. Back at Khar Road for new year, we saw the locals were burning effigies in the street and setting off fireworks making the taxis and rickshaws having to frantically avoid them!! How was your new year?

01/01 - We have decided to travel down to Goa on wed, 3rd Jan, about 600 km south of mumbai by train. We went to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station to reserve our ticket. What an experience! Big big station, majestic architecture, we had no idea what to do! Our lonely plant guides were helpful but still they can only help you so much. We ended up paying for an agent to help us for 5 pounds. Trip will take 12 hours and we paid 2800 rupees - about 35 pounds between us. We will leave at 6.00 am on wednesday morning and arrive at about 6.30 pm! Goa - for the beaches and get a sun tan!

Hannah and I have been very impressed with the locals in Mumbai. They have all been very helpful and friendly. Best bits have been haggling with the taxi drivers, all with smiles of course. Sometimes if locals think we are getting ripped off by someone (by indian standards that is) they join in and argue on our behalf!). Why pay 80 rupees for a taxi (1 pound) when this trip should be costing you 30 rupees!! We haggle to get into the lifestyle, even if you can afford it.

Hannah and I are now exploring what to do when we arrive in Goa.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.