Existing Member?

Hannah and Jase's World Tour

Floating Market - Damnoen Saduak

THAILAND | Friday, 2 February 2007 | Views [1430]

2nd February

We are still at the

Khao San Road
and have been here for a week nearly.  Its fantastic.  Loads of shops and bars all in one area.  We have rested and explored a bit too.  We took a bus for two hours two nights ago in order to go to the floating market early in the morning.  It’s a bit of a tourist thing and we decided to get a hotel near by and get up at 6.30am in order to be their before the rush.  The hotel was the cheapest and one of the nicest so far.  350B or about 5 quid.  We got the boat early in the morning and it took us to a lovely Buddhist monastery first.  Very ornate.  We fed a throng of beautiful fish in the canal near by, then off to the market.  It was great to see all the boats with goods, but things were about 3 X the normal price.  So we didn't buy anything, but had a good trip all the same.  Sampled our first sticky rice, hhhmmm lovely.  It’s like pudding rice, but without cream sauce.  and all sticky. 

Then back to Bangkok by bus for two hours! Perhaps not the best value excursion we have had. 

Jason was poorly when we got back, so he went to bed and I spent a few hours shopping!!  Hehe. Thoroughly enjoyed that and he is letting me have a bit of a free reign at the moment.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.