Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

San Cristobal Island

ECUADOR | Friday, 22 November 2013 | Views [262]

Last full day in thr Galapagos. Its been an extraordinary trip up to now. Today we disembark on San Cristobal Island. We start the mornin with a hike after breakfast. This Island is home of the Red Footy boobies, and even though there are a lot more of these than the blue footed one itis difficult to see them as they like to live on trees. The hike starts with an uphill section through what they call yhe Grand Canyon of the Galapagos. It is actually an old volcano crater that erosion has made it look as is.
We have clouds and a small drizzle on us. As we keep going up the views are getting better. We approach the sea again and that is where we get to see the famous Red Foot Boobie. Pretty. They have blue beak and red feet.
After the stroll back down to the beach we get the opportunity to get a dip in the sea. Having not worned my swimming stuff I eneter the sea with my clothes :-). And a good choice too, because there are about 6 sea lions who play with us as we dive and swim. Great creatures and fun to play with.
Back on the boat a nice lunch and relxing time prior to getting ready for snorkeling. We will be doing this in a location called Leon Dormido, which is a massive rock in the middle of the sea which has split into too.
So on the zodiac's ready to go. We are dropped at one end of the passage and told to swim through it. As I start to swim along i come across 2 sharks swimming below me, only to realise that there are another 30 sharks following them!!!! I kept on thinking, breath Paula, breath. They literally just swam around with not much care in us at all. After the passage we snorkled on the side of the rock which had loads of fish, turtles and even sea lions. Probably the best snorkeling of the week really.
back on the boat we have a some champagne with the captain s we see the sun go down over the Leon Dormido rock. Stunning.
Dinner followed by an optional trip into town at night. I decide to go and I am amused by the seen of sea lions everywhere in town. Sleeping on public benches, walking around, etc... Very funny. A great last day really.

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.