Existing Member?

Historic Istanbul

JUST LIKE COMING HOME

TURKEY | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

I was grumpy. It had been a long day. We started off very early that morning - at seven o’clock, sans breakfast, and all I wanted at that time was to crash into bed. But my cousin and travel companion wanted to cover one last stop in the same area - the Basilica Cistern. Not that I did not marvel at the magnificence of the three architectural landmarks we’ve been to that day, namely: the Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, and the Topkapi Palace. I was mesmerized, beyond words. But exhaustion was already catching up with me.

From the Blue Mosque, we crossed the short distance towards the cistern in uncompanionable silence, unmindful of the throng of tourists converging in the Sultanahmet Square. The square is actually a beautifully manicured park with mounds of greeneries punctuated with patches cobblestones. It is in the center of the Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque and the Basilica Cistern. Topkapi Palace is standing grandly nearby. Here, tourists’ mill around after visiting the nearby attractions, and are treated to a variety of wares—foodstuff, souvenir items, artworks, pashminas in varying shades, etc.

I defiantly followed my cousin through the dimly-lit sanctum of the cistern, determined to forego with the obligatory tourist “selfie” as an act of defiance. But I was not prepared for the drama that awaited me. I remembered being greeted by a sea of columns amidst the muted hues of iridescent lights mirrored in the shallow waters. Beaconing, drawing me inside. They were standing like sentries. Firm. Determined. Unyielding. In the background, not a sound was heard except the muffled voices of the few remaining tourists who were either caught up by the same spell, or were simply busy admiring the colorful tails of the fishes cavorting around. In a fleeting moment; I was overcome by a sense of rightness. There was peace. It was bliss. Just like coming home after a long, weary journey.

I was lost in my own thoughts on our way back to the hotel. The experience, plain it may seem to most people was a treasure trove of realizations to me. I realized that that we don’t need to wait for great occasions to celebrate life; that even things that didn’t start off well can end on a positive note; more importantly, that travelling is a great contradiction.

Indeed, it is. It can carry off to places you’ve never been too, and given the right moment, it can lead you home. Just like what happened to me in Istanbul almost three years ago.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About gracie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.