Existing Member?

Our Travel Adventures What a great gift to be on this trip as a family! We are so grateful! Bring on the adventure, fun, closeness, unity, exanding love, joy, and laughter! We will bring back great stories to share!! We love you all so much!

In South Africa!

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 13 July 2009 | Views [539]

Well, we made it to South Africa on Monday the 6th.  The Bilton's were patiently waiting for us at the airport - it was so good to see them again!  Might I say, they are the most amazing hosts!  We have been given the 5-star treatment...here's just a sampling of what we've done so far:

  • Tour of the wine country town of Stellenbosh with a wonderful breakfast at Riandi's mom's restaurant.  It is in the botanical gardens at the university...amazing location!
  • Private tour of the Bilton winery with a special wine and chocolate tasting - fantastic!!  We also got to go to "Finger Rock" which is high on the hill at the farm and is where Mia is buried - a very special place, with an amazing view of the farm, the mountains and the whole valley!
  • Tour of the Ernie Els winery and then a wonderful picnic at a nearby park
  • A day in Cape Town: 
    • A trip to Table Mountain (we didn't make it to the top, as the wind was too strong) and Signal Hill with great views of the city.
    • A boat tour of Cape Town harbor
    • Exploring the waterfront stores
  • Two days at the Bilton's beach home (Langebaan - about 2 hrs north of Cape Town on the Atlantic coast)
    • Runs on the beach
    • Seashell collecting
    • Great food
    • Time to relax, read and just hang out together
  • An intense round of Cranium, with Caroline and Olivia just barely beating out Larry and Matthew.....there will be a re-match!
  • Celebrating Matthew's 29th birthday:
    • a wonderful breakfast of pancakes, bacon, fresh juice, coffee and 'words of life for Matthew' - so fun to do!!!
    • an amazing time at the Bilton's church (Every Nation Somerset West) - great worship, fellowship and teaching!
  • We (just the Godt's) are now in a small town called Franschhoek which is about an hour from the Bilton's.  We are spending the night in a great B&B (La Fontaine) and will be touring the town and area tomorrow...it is much like Calistoga in Napa Valley. 

On Tuesday morning we will be heading to Mount Camdeboo for 5 days at the private game reserve for rest, relaxation, game drives, a few photos :) and more rounds of board games!  We will be stopping along the Indian Ocean beaches on our drive to and from Mount Camdeboo (it is about 8 hours one way).  We will not have any cell or internet access while on the game reserve, so we won't be updating the blog until we return.

Talk to you when we get back 'connected'!!

Larry and 'his girls'!

About godt2009


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.