Existing Member?

Young Leaders Promoting Possibilities

Our Entrance into Nebaj

USA | Sunday, 2 August 2009 | Views [527] | Comments [7]

I know there haven’t been any postings thusfar and I promise to catch you up soon, but figured this would be a start.  Just know that this is incredible, challenging and SO amazing!  By day two we were digging deep into who we are and what defining moments have changed our lives…something that we don’t often get to experience with young people.  I consider myself blessed….

Today, Friday, we left Antigua and headed to the highlands of Nebaj.  Tomorrow will be our first day in Chajul where we will begin our work on the library, and more importantly, we will begin to understand ourselves, as well as our place and impact on the world as a whole. 

 

The outskirts of Nebaj…

The temperature is so cool, the air so thick with a moisture that has collected into fog so dense, we are unable to view the town upon which we will soon enter.  Like the beginning scene from Gorillas in the Mist, it is as if we are entering a true rainforest…so lush with various colors of green everywhere. 

Everyone in the bus is quiet.  Some in awe; some silent with intimidation of the curvy mountain roads; and some tired and overwhelmed by missing home. 

Tomas, our driver, has the spiky haircut of a boy, the smile of a loving man, and the eyes of an individual who knows the importance of soulful generosity.  At one of our few stops on the 6 hour ride from Antigua to Nebaj, he bought us bananas.  The kindness of people who don’t typically “have”, amazes me.  This generosity was replicated soon after our edible treat, by Tomas inviting us to his mother’s home tomorrow for a traditional treat of boxbol (maza wrapped inside the leaves of a squash, steamed and served with salsa and pepian).  DELICIOSO!!!!

I am unsure if these acts of kindness are being completely understood by our boys, but I know they undoubtedly are laying a foundation that without this experience could not exist. 

Comments

1

Hey, I'm so glad to finally read an update! It sounds like you all have already had a great start to your voyage. Being invited over to someone's house for dinner and to me his/her family is real honor. I can't wait for more updates, especially when the ice is broken.

  Andy Baalerud Aug 2, 2009 10:48 AM

2

hello jurreall i'm so proud of you hope your being safe and haveing fun,learn and try everything you can!!!sounds like everything is supper cool over there.This blog is such a good idea now i won't worry as much thanks audra.I will be anxiously waiting for the next post

  sandra (jurrealls,mom) Aug 2, 2009 11:05 AM

3

Hi Jurreall, I am so glad to hear from you. Sounds like things are going well. Take advantage of all your experinces, and enjoy yourself. Just know that all of you are going to make a differance. Be safe and have a great time.

  vivian, Jurreall's grandma Aug 2, 2009 12:09 PM

4

Hey you three! So glad you made it and are having such an amazing experience thus far! You all are an inspiration to myself and many others to reach farther than we think possible! Thank you for your example of tangible love to a people and a place that really need you. Blessings, Andrea

  Andrea Garcia Aug 4, 2009 4:27 AM

5

Keeping you all in my thoughts! Sounds like a great trip so far. You will have to replicate some of your meals when you get back!

  Katie Aug 4, 2009 6:20 AM

6

Hello Jurreall i heard that your having a FUN TIME!!! hope you enjoy every moment of your time in Guatemala and expierence the life in guatemala and use will make a change for them. see you when you get back and be safe n take care. Love your aunty nana.

  Deanna,Jurreall's Auntie Aug 7, 2009 1:36 PM

7

Beautiful beautiful! What an awesome experience to get to have! :)

  Beth B Aug 8, 2009 5:04 AM

About go_guatemala2009

Who's gonna mess with THIS group!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.