Existing Member?

Finally moving

Chaper 1: Trials of the errors

THAILAND | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [329]

Its already been one and a half weeks of our journey through south east Asia so theres quite a bit story and detail to get everyone up to speed on, but keeping you informed of our antics on the run flows well with the theme of us trying to learn the art of backpacking and the tricks of travelling as we go. We are currently residing in a small town in phuket called old town, and already we are facing some minor dillemas both with our health and our time management, but lets not skip over the details and cut to the beginning... 

First of all let me start by saying that i've never been completely homeless... completely... i mean i've slept in cars, on mates couches, i've fallen asleep over night on beaches, passed out on pool tables and stayed over night at work both for the love and for the hell of it, but the closest thing to ever feeling actually homeless was when we took our departing flight to Thailand and stopped in Darwin for one of two lay over flights to Thailand.. Hey man, dont judge the tickets were cheap and in the true spirit of travelling backpacker style we bought the cheapest flight we could find! even if it entailed us having two stop overs at unholy hours of the night, also because we are both working on a tight budget but thats neither here or there. We arrived in Darwin at midnight and had to burn six hours before our next flight, it wasn't an ideal stop over but you know we were rolling with the punches and adversity is partially what makes the adventure, so we slummed it in the airport. We found a corner of the airport were other back packers were resting and waiting for possibly the same flight and joined this little huddle of homelessness and tried to fit in without seeming too awkward about something seemingly so trivial. Lying on the cold concrete floor with a hat placed over my face, it is here where i felt for the first time remarkably homeless yet excited by the journey ahead.   

 this is us prior to sleeping at the airport

 This is us laying our heads down to rest at Darwin airport.

 

TRIAL 1

Its super basic right? we checked our departure time, made our bed, set an alarm, Charlie ever so kindly offered to stay up and play watchman as i attempted to sleep on soils highly evolved cousin, concrete. All we had to was hang out from 12:00am to roughly 5am, get up, check in, get on the plane and cruise to the next stop over in Singapore, Easy! a toddler could do these things with a blood thirsty bear roaming the airport with lasers attatched to its back.

ERROR

WRONG. The toddler is apparently much smarter than these two grown adults and the bear has made matters worse by mauling Charlie and mounted my back using me as a sex doll while smearing blue berries on my face dirty sanchez style to further emphasise how poorly we did in a very straight forward situation. Somehere along the line in the haze of late night fatigue we muddled up the six with an eight and decided our departure time was at 8am and not 6am. So, when the airport speaker dinged at 5.30am and announced "last call for Bangkok, all passengers please board the 6am flight to Bangkok..." we freaked out and we freaked HARD. to sum the situation up perfectly via song lyrics...

"fuck bein on some chill shit, we go 0 to 100 niggah real quick"

- Drake

After that little hiccup we learnt pretty quickly that being correctly informed of flight times and having a punctial approach to being places when your travelling was a pretty important trait to adopt, but needless to say, lesson learnt. After another stop in Singapore which was basically a small city in itself, we were truely on our way to Thailand, Bankok. Arriving in Thailand for the first time is pretty unexpectedly full on, the heat that hits you like a sand bag to the face and its almost overwhelming and your body automatically begins to run on 'eco friendly' mode as it slows down trying to preserve energy and exert less. Along with the heat there is its friend, Humidity! its literally feels like living in Atlantis, if we were living in an underground city were the ocean was our natural habitat it would be like walking around in the humidity of Thailand, it is ridiculous.

About ghost


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.