Existing Member?

Gendo 4 years since I've been in Europe and am loving the return trip!

Moulins-home sweet home!

FRANCE | Wednesday, 18 July 2007 | Views [439]

Arrived in my old home town of Moulins to see old host families from my exchange. Its been 5 years since I came to France for my exchange and I'm glad to see that nothing and no-one has changed.

Have been staying with various old host families in little villages on the outskirts of Moulins. Its great to be lost out here in the french countryside but its not always easy to get in to see people in town. However am planning to learn how to drive on the right side of the road and drive manual cars (have come across only one automatic car since my arrival....) in case i need to!

I'm thankful for the free accomodation at the moment cos lifes pretty expensive over here. Have been looking at flats in Toulouse and the rent is normally between 50 - 80euros/week, making it bloody expensive for me. However I was surprised to find a 10pack of beer starts at 2euros! It was only 4.2% but still!

Have found that people are still very ignorant about how we live in New Zealand. It seems Lord of the Rings showed them where we are on the map but also let them think we all live like hobbits. Have been getting questions like "do u have traffic lights in NZ? or "do u celebrate christmas?"
Moulins has a population of 40,000 and people find it hard to believe it when i tell them that Christchurch has over 400,000, they all think we live in little villages with grass huts. Its pretty funny actually.

Tags: Friends

About gendo


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.