Existing Member?

The day I take a leap into another world

Peace-Ambassadors

NIGERIA | Monday, 9 June 2014 | Views [276]

Okon and Femi are Nigerian Peace Ambassadors

By Ogungbuyi Gbenga Michael (Gbuyi).

Okon who has been in the Diaspora for more than ten years visited his father land recently and was in a discussion with Femi, his childhood friend. Femi was on annual leave so he could have all the time with his friend. Few days Okon came to Nigeria, he observed the peaceful atmosphere after travelling to several cities in the South in company with Femi. He never seized to imagine how everyone was attending to his own business without fear of molestation. He couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw tourist centres aside the diplomatic areas full of live. He didn’t know when he broke the silence. “Femi”, he said, “these places used to be dry, lonely and deserted before I travelled: how come it is now lively?” “Oh the Yankee boy!” Femi shouted while looking at Okon’s direction. He quickly gained posture as he drove. Appearing to be serious, Femi said, “there is now peace between the government and the Niger-Delta Militants.” “Okay I see”, Okon mused. So that simple amnesty offered by the former president Yaradua to the militants was the secret? Femi broke in with an affirmative “Yes”.  Okon said, “No wonder the news of abduction of expatriates, violence and destruction of lives, and the bombings by the Niger-Delta militants are no more issues on the media.

Femi: In fact all the expatriates that left are fully back with all the petroleum refineries fully operational now.

Okon: That means Nigeria has retained its sixth position as the largest oil producers in the world.

Femi: Yes o. The GDP that slumped to unimaginable level as a result of the Niger-Delta insurgent has risen higher and Nigeria has regained its position as the largest economy in Africa.

Okon: Tell me more about this amnesty program.

Femi: The militants felt they were cheated by the government coming to mine petroleum in their land for national development without providing jobs for their youths, developing their land and causing air-water pollution by the effects of the flaring of gases which are harmful to their health. This marginalization made the militants to “take laws into their hand” and started causing mayhem in the region. President Yaradua now offered amnesty regardless the socio-economic damaged done by the militants if they will surrender their arms and ammunitions to embrace peace-dialogue. He promised to rehabilitate them and fulfill their yearnings. In response, the militants trooped out from their creeds to embrace peace-dialogue. This was the strategy that worked like medicine.

Okon: Wow! No victories no vanquish.

Okon: Exactly, that statement made me remember the civil war of 1968-1973.

Femi: Right! This country has really gone through tough times. The Igbo wanted freedom as a Biafria nation which brought about civil war leading to the killing of thousands Nigerians. In the end, the Igbos embraced peace and General Gowon, the then military Head of States proclaimed “No victories no vanquish”

Okon: With a glowing smile, Okon said, “In unity we stand in division we fall”.

Femi: Our strength is in our diversities, whether as a Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo.

Okon: That reminds me, the super Eagles that won Afrcan cup of Nation after 20 years, were mixture of Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba.

Femi: In unity we stand in division we fall.

Okon: You know I am an Igbo while you are a Yoruba

Femi: Can you imagine, “Should we start fighting after 28 years of friendship?”

Okon: God for bids!

As Femi drove, they were held up in traffic and a Newspaper vendor appeared. Okon ordered for one. A big headline read “Boko Harams abducted 287 girls in Chibok”

Okon:  I heard about these Boko-Harams in the far US

Femi: People link them up with the Al-Qadal. In fact the UN has listed Nigeria among the terrorist nations.

Okon: That’s unfortunate.

Femi: It’ll also come to pass like the civil war and the Niger-Delta militants.

Okon: Like Yaradua, President Jonathan is also considering dialogue to end this assault in the Northern Nigeria.

Femi: Each government is unique in its approach in ensuring peace in our diversities.

Okon: It’s truly not easy to unite 180 million people who have different culture, language and belief.

Femi: We’ve just celebrated 100 years of existence

Okon: As the largest black nation in the world, no matter our trials our children will celebrate another centenary.

Femi: Amen, since the same blood runs through our veins whether as a Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa.

Okon: Let you and me preach it here and in the Diaspora.

Puzzle: Who is the writer between Okon and Femi?  

Tags: on the road.

About gbuyi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nigeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.