Existing Member?

The day I take a leap into another world

The day I take a leap into another world.

NIGERIA | Monday, 5 May 2014 | Views [183] | Scholarship Entry

Just two days but with overwhelming experiences of in-depth revelation and learning. It’s true that the more myopic you see the less you know. A comparative study of African culture and the West set the pace. It was in Quebec in Canada. I enjoyed the company of a French driver who did most of the interpretations. It’s vivid that the clean environment is in their culture. The excellent road network, the unique pedestrian lanes, the perfect structure of the province into industrial, residential, social, recreational, administrative and business centres that allow quiet and serene campus life have no equal in Africa. When I saw tourist centres especially ‘Chateau Frontenac’, the most photographed hotel in the world, I forgot I came from Africa!
As an offshoot of African culture, questions about their culture, interest, politics, entertainment and socio-economic life were asked and their answers revealed scintillating differences.
My lesson started from Joe who used his seat belt for those hours he was on steering, many times I forgot because of my background. As I saw others doing the same it was not difficult to conclude that they obey traffic rules more than where I came from.
Freedom of speech and right to life with uncommon equality without social class between the poor and the rich as both of them were seen in the sport arena, eateries, trains and shuttle buses interacting freely are not so peculiar to Africans. The simple way the people do their greetings is of interest to me- Just ‘hi’ and warm hug in seconds. We change our posture to greet and can spend 5 minutes. Seeing the MD of a construction’s company driving himself in one evening to play gulf with his junior staff elated me. The simplicity in their spending on priority projects like food items and not so worried about expensive fabrics and all kinds of ceremonies which we are known for lingered long in my mind. May be our extravagant lifestyles account for our poverty! I asked them why all of them use only one mobile phone instead of 2 to 3 phones that one person uses in Africa. They said “It’s just African mentality”. I sighted a car depot afar and when I asked Joe, my itinerary driver he said “they were used cars”. More than 70% of our cars are from such depots.
I wondered why their buildings are not fenced with a warning notice like ‘beware of dogs’? My new Quebec friend said “it’s not necessary”.
Though a tasking adventure but sweet and never boring!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About gbuyi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nigeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.