Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled

Flight Recap and 26 October Plans

THAILAND | Thursday, 26 October 2017 | Views [386]

Detroit Airport

Detroit Airport

International flying can always be challenging. Some itinerary changes a few months ago created a 6+ hour layover in Detroit for us. I was able to convince Delta airlines to give us miles to buy our way into the SkyClub lounge. This was a good move and made the time pass easier. The flights for the most part were uneventful. Once at Seoul/Inchon we experienced a 45-minute delay, but the airline made up the time on the following 6+ hour flight to Bangkok. Immigrations and customs went smoothly; bags were readily available at the luggage claim. For our party of 4, we decided to get a taxi van. The kiosk for the taxi van was empty and the screen appeared frozen. After staring at it for several minutes and unable to interact with it, "someone" hit the reset button. About 30 seconds later, a furious attendant appeared out of nowhere and scolded the individual in an emotional performance that displayed the "jai rawn" that is not desirable in public. Shocking to say the least, as this behavior is frowned upon by the culture. The situation resolved itself in about 2 minutes. So was it really a big deal? No. It begged the question, where was that attendant to help with the kiosk in the first place? Maybe sitting down somwhere and texting friends on LINE. So a word to the wise. Don't try to fix it yourself. Perhaps draw attention and see if someone appears from the shadows to assist.

The cab ride was uneventful. The driver was safe and courteous. That has been my experience in this city on numerous occassions with the taxis that are available at the airport. No funny business on the fare -- all straightforward.

The hotel for our stay in Bangkok was a bit farther down the Sukhumvit Soi 12 than the map had indicated when I booked the room. However the staff is nice, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and we are fairly centrally located. We ventured out early in the morning after arrival -- really the middle of the night. As it is the day of the King's funeral, many places had already shut down for the next few days. We were hungry and just needed a bite to eat. No street stalls open -- could have gone for some noodle soup. So instead we were relegated to Subway. Quick bite, stop by 7-11 for a few basics, and back to the room for some sleep.

Out of respect for the King, today will be a quiet day in Bangkok -- and throughout the Kingdom. So we will simply go on a walk-about to show our traveling friends a bit of the City of Angels -- a city they have never seen. Later, some of my wife's relatives will join us for dinner. While this day's plan probably doesn't sound too exciting, it is just what we need to recharge a bit and yet show our respect to the Thai people.

Time to get ready for this afternoon's activities.....

Tags: airline, bangkok, taxi, thailand, travel

 

About gatornav


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.