Existing Member?

The World According to Spaz The ramblings of a man from a place going to another place completely different to the first place.

Five things I have learnt about London this week

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 30 March 2006 | Views [678]

1. When you are on an escalator at a tube station, stand on the right to allow others to pass. This is a practice vehemently adhered to by the locals. If there were escalators in Elizabethan times, there probably would have been an "off with your head" on the spot fine.

2. You will know if you are walking a high street if someone asks you to sign a petition or make a donation to a charity. The best way to avoid this is to broaden up your Aussie accent and say things like "Crikey mate I've only been here for two bloody days, I don't think I'm ready to start givin' me hard earned to any other bastard just yet". They will either agree with you or not understand a word you have just said and let you pass. I reckon I've got at least two month's worth of getting away with that one.

3. The Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello rd, while not strictly English, is the best smelling store I have ever been in.

4. A pork pie, is not hot.

5. Russel Square, Warren Street and Cockfosters are by far the most Aussie sounding underground stations on the map.

The "Five Things" trademark is under strict licence of Gregor Strongbad Enterprises. All rights reserved.

Tags: Culture

About garyspaz

Hello ladies

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.