Existing Member?

Life Travels

Future of Watoto

UGANDA | Friday, 3 October 2014 | Views [343]

  Today I spent time at one of the Watoto Baby homes, and I was amazed at what I saw! A bunch of beautiful babies, smiling and not crying! Watoto started their first babies home in 2007, and they now have three. The Babies home that I visited is located in central Kampala, another home is in the village Suubi, and the other home is in the district of Gulu, which is about six hours away from Kampala. The homes take care of infants up to 24 months, but they try to transition the babies into a village between 18 & 24 months. Most of these babies were abandoned at hospitals, or mothers have taken them to Watoto because they can’t properly take care of them. Some of the babies were born prematurely, so they have major health issues which makes them require much care.

  The home I visited was for babies up to twelve months. The baby facilities are amazing. They have incubators for the babies that need special care, and today was the first time that I saw a premature baby in person. It brought tears to my eyes seeing the condition that she was in. She came to Baby Watoto at less than a pound and a half. It was sad to see her health condition, but I was happy to know that she was getting proper medical treatment and on her way to good health. This babies home is also registered as a medical treatment center, so they can take care of the babies without having to go to the major hospital. The major hospital is pretty crowded from what I hear, so being able to take care of the babies in home is the best thing for them! 

  Today was a big day of firsts for me! I held a baby the size of my forearm today! I’ve never wanted to hold a newborn before because they are so soft and fragile, but today I had the chance to hold a baby girl named Kayla! She was so precious and small! I was carful with every step that I took. I was afraid of doing something wrong while holding her, but I didn't make her cry once while holding her, I felt accomplished! I didn’t ever want to put baby Kayla down, but I had to. I’ve never held a life in my hands like I did today, and it helped me realize how much all babies need love and care.

  The facility I went to takes care of about 30 children. The other Babies home in Subbi village and Gulu take care of many more babies because those facilities were built for the purpose of being a baby home. Most of the volunteers for the homes are woman, so for the babies to see a young man like me must of been different. Not saying I am a baby expert or anything, but I felt the babies enjoying my presence. I got to hold and play with many of them, and I felt that I bonded well with a few of them. 

  I loved playing with a chubby little boy named Zane! I found out that he was premature, but I would've never known by the looks of him. He had chubby thighs and a big solid belly. I was amazed to see that with proper care and nutrition a premature baby could be so healthy. He had the biggest smile, and I loved laying on his belly making him laugh. 

  Being able to hold these babies and play with them was my pride and joy! I wish I could stay and play with the babies all day long. The babies have nurses watching over them twenty four Seven, and the shifts are from 7 Am to 7 Pm, and then the night nurses take care of them. It is amazing that these babies started life with slim to no chance at living, and now they are surrounded by love and happiness. 

 

Beautiful Babies

About g_blu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.